none
Object Definition error + VBA references greyed out RRS feed

• Question

• 2 separate unsplit applications were built over the prior decade; the 2 were consolidated together; and so just recently both were split and the FEs were consolidated into a single FE - -  and put on PCs running 2013.accdb with OS up to date.  about 10 forms with a mix of macros and vba code.  On some PCs, but not all, one form's button that calls Outlook will throw an Object Undefined error.  This same code on another form's button does not ever throw any error - an important point.  

In the PCs with the error - when going to VBA - Tools - References; the reference is greyed out and cannot be opened.  I've never seen that before.  On the PCs without any issue I have checked that the FE displays the Office 15 Object is referenced.

In the guess that the form could be corrupt - it has been copied, renamed - the original deleted - and the new renamed back to the original name + compact repair.  This fixed the error....for awhile.... but then it returned.  The same copy form steps were repeated and again fixed the issue.  But I am assuming it is going to return.  So I thought I would reach out for advice on this scenario.

I have not been able to determine any difference between the PCs with the issue versus without - - but there must be something different. The form with code that always works on all PCs came originally from db1 while the form with code that doesn't work on some PCs came originally from db2 while I think that could be relevant.....but the fact that it doesn't work only on select PCs, not all has me a little baffled ....

Saturday, October 27, 2018 8:42 PM

Answers

• the reference is greyed out and cannot be opened

Do you mean: the 'References' menu option on the Tools menu is grayed out?
    You can still open the VBA window (Alt+11)?
    There is no code running; you are not at a breakpoint; you opened the database while holding down the Shift key?

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

Sunday, October 28, 2018 12:02 AM

All replies

• the reference is greyed out and cannot be opened

Do you mean: the 'References' menu option on the Tools menu is grayed out?
    You can still open the VBA window (Alt+11)?
    There is no code running; you are not at a breakpoint; you opened the database while holding down the Shift key?

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

Sunday, October 28, 2018 12:02 AM
  • as it turns out; when the app is opened holding the shift key so that is in admin mode - - then the references are available.  So I'll close this thread.   Still unsure about the form/button error but will open a new thread if that resurfaces.

Monday, October 29, 2018 6:56 PM