none
Internet Explorer 11 update on Windows Server 2008R2 / 2012 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi.
    I wonder why Internet Explorer 11 forcefully installs itself on the mentioned server platforms when Windows Update doesn't select it for install.
    I do now know that there is an option under ABOUT in IE itself that can be unselected to prevent it to update itself.

But it ponders me why MS IE developers included such a hidden thing into IE when Windows Update is supposed to handle it, not to mention when running WSUS or Intune to control the flow of updates.

IE developers might think updating IE is a good thing, think again, it is not always the case.
    We got some complicated scenarios of apps running on IIS that break cause of it.
    I can also mention Server and Network Configurations web GUI's that won't work correct with IE 10 and 11, as example, we got a firewall configuration page that will behave strange with IE10, like putting configuration selection flags in complete different places then what was selected via the GUI.
    As you can guess, forcing a new version of IE on the machines used to manage network equipment can have fatal consequences.

In other words, make it as a default behavior that IE never gets updated to a newer version on Windows Server unless the administrator selects it too. 

Regards Joerg Baermann

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 10:01 AM