How to Build a Wizard style form using c# for Windows 8.1??

Question

• I'm  wanting to add a feature to my c# Windows 8.1 store app, that takes a user through a number of steps and scenarios related to the topic that they can select on the left hand side of the screen. Basically when they select a control on the left it will update the screen on the right.

The idea is to use something like the split screen template, But can I do this with a collection of forms? For example, with Android development I can use the fragment control, (See Link Below) but does anyone know what the equivalent of this is for c# for a Windows 8.1 Tablet store app?

I'm really struggling to find the best way of doing this or if its even possible Any tutorials or information would be so greatly appreciated. 

http://mathias-seguy.developpez.com/cours/android/fragments/images/fragments.png
    Wednesday, April 2, 2014 7:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• What you describe doesn't really fit with the design language, so there isn't an explicit control for it. Keeping everything more fluid on a single page rather than jumping between modes would probably be better.

If you want to do this though it shouldn't be too hard to assemble. I'd probably use a Frame with sub-pages to navigate between the steps and a ListView with items to show where you are and the status of each section.

--Rob

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 8:44 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Rob - Thanks a mill for the reply.

I'm quite new to Windows 8 development, so when you say use a "Frame" with sub pages could you elaborate a little on this? 

Also how would the listview of items reflect where a user is and the status of each section??

Any recommended tutorials or information?

Thanks again, really appreciate it.

--Bronagh

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 9:53 PM
  • You can use a Frame control within your page similar to how you use one for top level navigation. See Navigating between pages for more information. Another option would be a FlipView.

You can bind the ListView to a collection of pages with statuses and them template the ListViewItems to draw the pages titles and status as you'd like. See Adding ListView, SemanticZoom, and other data controls and its subtopic Specifying the look of the items .

--Rob

Thursday, April 3, 2014 1:10 AM
    Owner