Getting confused as to what technologies I should use RRS feed

• Question

• User-1092724307 posted

I want to build a website that looks good (as a website) on phones and tablets. but also has a Windows 8 "Modern" style app that has some of the functionality of the main site.

I though MVC and Entity Framework would be the way to go but now I read that Windows App development does not support remote database connectivity and that I can get around it using Web Services.

So will it be just easier to create a non-MVC Asp.net website with Web service, and a normal ADO.net data layer (as I'm finding the EF model view a pain in the a**) from the outset?

I should add I'm a newbie so may have got my understanding of certain concepts wrong!

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 10:09 AM

Answers

• User541108374 posted

Hi,

for the web site I would opt for MVC 4 with CSS3. For the Windows 8 App you can make use of HTML 5, perhaps even make use of generated MVC to HTML code, and interact via Web API with your server.

Grz, Kris.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 2:58 PM

All replies

• User595841651 posted

Really, its up to you. All the options you listed will work. The big thing to take into account for Mobile browsers is 1) javascript support, 2) flash support and 3) layout/CSS.

#3 will be what makes things look good, which sounds pretty important to you.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 10:42 AM
  • User541108374 posted

Hi,

shield your business and data access logic in separate layers (you should always do this btw). The create an MVC 4 application and make use of responsive design to make it look good in different browsers.

In the MVC application you can also put in Web API controllers as endpoints for you W8 dedicated application and call these. Web API makes it very simply for you to switch between xml, json, whatever you put in it so that can be a winwin situation.

Grz, Kris.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 10:46 AM
  • User-1092724307 posted

Thanks - ok so just to be clear as to what one may consider to be current best practice for this situation (assuming I'm open to learn anything and don't have a preference)

Develop my front end in HTML5 & Javascript with Web API for client-server interaction

and have MVC for server/database interaction  -- (so really making use of the M and C component here)

Have I got that right? As I said I'm rather a newbie (or rather old timer re-returning to programming after 8 years away) so I may have misunderstood concepts.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 11:31 AM
  • User541108374 posted

Hi,

for the web site I would opt for MVC 4 with CSS3. For the Windows 8 App you can make use of HTML 5, perhaps even make use of generated MVC to HTML code, and interact via Web API with your server.

Grz, Kris.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 2:58 PM