Xamarin.Forms for UWP Preview Now Available RRS feed

• Question

• User43 posted

Update For Xamarin.Forms 2.0, the UWP preview is included in the Xamarin.Forms NuGet package. Be sure to read the directions here to get started:

https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/xamarin-forms/windows/getting-started/universal/

Old thread, do not follow Many in our community have been asking about Xamarin.Forms for Universal Windows Platform support, and today, we are very happy to bring that request to life. In the past, building apps with Xamarin.Forms required you to create a separate Windows Phone and Store applications, but this preview, available to try today, will enable you to target not only iOS and Android, but also multiple Windows 10 platforms from a single app.

This is your chance to try out the latest-and-greatest in Xamarin.Forms. To help ensure that the next release of Xamarin.Forms is functional, stable, and performant, please let us know about any issues you encounter with the new Xamarin.Forms for UWP preview by filing a bug.

Getting Started

Download and extract the attached zip package that contains the preview NuGet packages. You will have to manually add the folder where the files were extracted to Visual Studio 2015’s NuGet package feed list.

Once you have that setup, you will want to:

• Add a new Blank App (Universal Windows) project to your Xamarin.Forms solutions
    • Ensure the new project is configured to build and deploy in the configuration manager
    • Add the Xamarin.Forms nuget packages to the newly created project
    • Update Xamarin.Forms NuGets in the other projects, and
    • Configure the application by making the following changes to your UWP project code

Update App.xaml.cs

In OnLaunched under:

rootFrame.NavigationFailed += OnNavigationFailed;

Add: Xamarin.Forms.Forms.Init (e);

Update MainPage.xaml

Remove all contents from page.

Add new xmlns of: xmlns:forms="using:Xamarin.Forms.Platform.WinRT"

Update root to: ```

```

Update MainPage.xaml.cs

public sealed partial class MainPage { public MainPage() { InitializeComponent(); LoadApplication (new YOUR_NAMESPACE.App()); } }

Reference Your PCL/Shared Project

Don’t forget to add your reference to your portable class library or shared project where your Xamarin.Forms logic resides.

Known Issues
    • The look of some views/pages is not yet finalized.
    • There are a couple known crashers around navigation.
    • Text alignment may not be perfect in some titles.
    • Some things still use the older UAP naming. These will change to UWP.

We can’t wait to get your feedback! :)

Thursday, October 22, 2015 7:56 PM

All replies

• User28549 posted

Now that the preview is public, will it be available on Nuget.org?

Great work btw!

Thursday, October 22, 2015 8:01 PM
  • User352 posted

There are too many known issues right now to throw it up on nuget.

Thursday, October 22, 2015 8:36 PM
  • User132753 posted

When available on nuget, will it be a separate download or part of Xamarin.Forms? Jw.

Thursday, October 22, 2015 9:07 PM
  • User352 posted

Undecided

Thursday, October 22, 2015 9:32 PM
  • User76916 posted

I'm a bit confused here. I created a Windows Universal app (a test one) a month ago using 1.5.0 downloaded from NuGet using the same code and namespaces as above. It was connecting to an API and using SQLite as well. Did I use something different than what is mentioned above?

Thursday, October 22, 2015 11:54 PM
  • User352 posted

not really, this just uses UWP instead of WinRT to do it. Pretty much the same.

Friday, October 23, 2015 12:37 AM
  • User76916 posted

ok, I think I get it now. WinRT was created for what Microsoft calls Universal Windows 8 Apps. Though I did create a Universal Windows (not Universal Windows 8.1) as mentioned above.

UWP is the next evolution that can run on a whole range of other devices, but then WinRT can also be run within a UWP app, or WinRT is a subset of UWP, which is what I was doing with 1.5.0, using the WinRT on a UWP app.

And now this new version actually targets the UWP API as well as the WinRT API's. And while the platform is still named WinRT in your namespace, others will reference the UWP(UAP) namespace as appropriate.

I will get stuck into some reading and playing around with this over the weekend on this. :)

Friday, October 23, 2015 2:52 AM
  • User352 posted

The namespace will be changing

Friday, October 23, 2015 8:00 AM
  • User25537 posted

Have you tried running release builds with .net native toolchain enabled? I get the following exception thrown in the Forms.Init() method: System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Arg_IndexOutOfRangeException at Xamarin.Forms.Registrar.RegisterAll(Type[] attrTypes) at Xamarin.Forms.Forms.Init(LaunchActivatedEventArgs launchActivatedEventArgs) at App1.App.OnLaunched(LaunchActivatedEventArgs e) in C:\Users\Dominik\Documents\Salesperformer\joey\Clients\wunderapp\App1\App.xaml.cs:line 42 at Xamarin.Forms.TriggerAction.DoInvoke(Object sender) at Windows.UI.Xaml.IApplicationOverrides__Impl.Vtbl.OnLaunched__STUB(IntPtr pComThis, Vtbl** unsafe_args) in c:\Users\Dominik\Documents\Salesperformer\joey\Clients\wunderapp\App1\obj\x86\Release\ilc\intermediate\App1.Interop\ImplTypes.g.cs:line 111718

I also filed a bug report here: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=35121

Friday, October 23, 2015 8:26 PM
  • User25537 posted

Any new information on this issue? We have to upload our app to the store ASAP and I can't find a way to upload without .NET Native compiling...

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 3:04 PM
  • User28549 posted

@DominikWeber I wouldn't recommend submitting an app to the app store with a Preview Build.

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 3:32 PM
  • User25537 posted

@ChaseFlorell We want to submit an unlisted beta build (not a public entry) for external testers. Currently we have no convenient way of sharing our app with other people apart from sending them .zip files with PowerShell install scripts, which is a very effortful solution.

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 4:47 PM
  • User51906 posted

@PierceBoggan.2760 I create 2 new Bug reports.

On for TextAlignment in an Entry Control where the TextAlignment doesn't get applied to the Placeholder Bug 35355 and the other one is that a ContentView inside of a ScrollView doesn't get rendered Bug 35354

//Edit: BorderRadius on a button doesn't have any effect at all :)

Thursday, October 29, 2015 2:13 PM
  • User114837 posted

FWIW, as of this time, its been a bit difficult finding meaty documentation on Windows 10 UWP. I did stumble across the UWP UX Guidelines (378 pages in pdf format).

User experience guidelines for Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps (PDF)

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 4:46 PM
  • User65389 posted

@BSalita: It seems, as your posted link is broken /don't work...

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 5:19 PM
  • User114837 posted

This link should work:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=626098

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 7:25 PM
  • User65389 posted

@BSalita: Thanks for updating the link (works now). Interesting base documentation... unfortunately the question is, how this guidelines can be implemented with .Forms :smirk:
    So... Xamarin should read the .pdf :tongue:

Monday, November 16, 2015 3:23 PM
  • User123472 posted

I followed the instructions; however, when installing Xamarin.Forms 2.0 via NuGet, I don't see the Xamarin assemblies in the list of references. I tried multiple times with no luck.

Friday, November 20, 2015 3:10 AM
  • User123472 posted

Nevermind. After doing a build, one reference just showed up "Xamarin.Forms". However, I have an error on MainPAge.xaml which says Exception: Cannot create an instance of "WindowsPage".

Friday, November 20, 2015 3:13 AM
  • User123472 posted

Is this correct? I don't see the Xamarin.Forms.Platform.UWP noted in the list of references.

Friday, November 20, 2015 3:16 AM
  • User25759 posted

In the final version of 2.0 it was changed to xmlns:forms="using:Xamarin.Forms.Platform.UWP"

Friday, November 20, 2015 3:47 AM
  • User123472 posted

Humm, the last comment didn't show the code. My VS2015 crashed and after it came back up everything built fine. BTW, my Windows 10 did an major update and VS2015 also did an update prior to my upgrade of Xamarin.Forms

So all is good now. Thanks

Friday, November 20, 2015 3:59 AM
  • User19313 posted

https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/xamarin-forms/windows/getting-started/universal/ this is a neatest thing we can do today. Deleted older uwp app and recreated with these steps and it works!

Friday, November 20, 2015 6:13 PM
  • User25759 posted

^^ Yup that would be it

Also, I have a sample here: https://github.com/jamesmontemagno/MyWeather.Forms

Friday, November 20, 2015 6:51 PM
  • User175073 posted

Has anyone got this to work with a shared project yet? I follow the steps here: https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/xamarin-forms/windows/getting-started/universal/, but as soon as I add a Forms Xaml page to the shared project the solution doesn't compile. The build error is "The name 'InitializeComponent' does not exist in the current context." It seems the Xaml compiler isn't running in the universal project.

Friday, November 20, 2015 10:57 PM
  • User123472 posted

USING RELEASED VERSION

I purchased a one-year business subscription plan to get access to Forms 2.0 UWP. No matter what I do, I am not able to get a simple hello world to work. There is way to much work you are asking us developers to do. Why don't you create a sample VS2015 project containing Xamarin Forms 2.0 with all platforms that run hello world so we can use it as a starting point.

As of now this is what we have to do:

1. Create new Xamarin Forms blank App in VS2015 community version. This results in an older version of Xamarin Forms.
    2. Upgrade each project in the solution to Xamarin Forms 2.0 (PCL, iOS, Android, WinPhone 8.0)
    3. Add UWP blank app per the instructions on the Xamarin website and add Forms 2.0
    4. Set UWP project as start project
    5. Do a build
    6. Then when it is ran on a Windows 10 PC, I get an error saying debugger is attached but can't process an error in UWP project.
    7. Then set the UWP project debugger to handle native code and rebuild and debug.
    8. Then get this error:

Unhandled exception at 0x762FD8A8 (KernelBase.dll) in macaroon.WinUniversal.exe: 0xE0434352 (parameters: 0x80131500, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x507C0000).

Now I just give up. This is so ridiculous. Why not just publish a VS2015 solution with everything already set and a base-line for your technical support team? I have now wasted about hours of my life and have yet to get hello world to work. BTW, I have been using Xamarin for about 1.5 years.

Saturday, November 21, 2015 11:59 PM
  • User123472 posted

I missed a step in my list above to convert deprecated code from Forms 1.x to Forms 2. Such as the XAlign statement which is autogenerated.

BTW on my bug. I created a UWP project by itself without any Xamarin related code, references, or projects. I had the same error message. So this is most likely an issue with VS2015 Community addition and the recent big patch for Windows 10. I am on version 10.0.10586 . I am now doing a repair on VS2015 to see if this fixes it.

Sunday, November 22, 2015 2:16 PM
  • User175031 posted

Just to chime in here.. I created a new project in VS 2015 using the Xamarin Blank App (Xamarin.Forms) template. It created all of the platform targets, but it didn't automatically reference v2.0 if the Xamarin Forms libraries. I manually had to update the nuget packages to version 2, and everything built and ran just fine.

I am using VS 2015 Enterprise.

Monday, November 23, 2015 6:16 PM
  • User67792 posted

Does anyone know if the PinchGestureRecognizer is working under UWP?

I built up a mini project and added the GestureRecognizer to a control. But it seems that the event is not fired. The TapGestureRecognizer works well.

Using VS2015 Enterprise.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 1:35 PM
  • User137666 posted

Hey everybody!

I just wanted to share with you our new tool Gorilla Player - Instant XAML preview for Xamarin.Forms. We started to work on this idea while we were working on Grial UI Kit .

Now we are very excited to announce that we will be opening a Beta testing program, hopefully sometime next week. And I want to invite you all to check it out, and of course to subscribe :)

Cheers!

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 5:05 AM
  • User128591 posted

Hello , Could you show me the MasterDetailControl's Template? I want custom it, but can't get it's template by reflector tools, because the App.xaml has been compiled into xbf file, and currently not have a effective way to deserialize xbf to xaml.

Thanks.

Thursday, November 26, 2015 10:13 AM
  • User57473 posted

I'm trying to start a new project base on MyWeather.

In Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.FormsAppCompatActivity,

I don't have

public static int TabLayoutResource { get; set; } public static int ToolbarResource { get; set; }

So in the Android MainActivity.cs, I can't do

ToolbarResource = Resource.Layout.toolbar;

What can I do to fix this? I want to change the color of the title bar and the status bar.

Friday, November 27, 2015 2:56 PM
  • User167549 posted

Has anyone got this to work with a shared project yet? I follow the steps here: https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/xamarin-forms/windows/getting-started/universal/, but as soon as I add a Forms Xaml page to the shared project the solution doesn't compile. The build error is "The name 'InitializeComponent' does not exist in the current context." It seems the Xaml compiler isn't running in the universal project.

Sunday, November 29, 2015 7:43 AM
  • User128591 posted

@AlexLapointe

You need tabs.axml and toolbar.axml

You can found them from here: https://blog.xamarin.com/material-design-for-your-xamarin-forms-android-apps/

Monday, November 30, 2015 9:52 AM
  • User98308 posted

Cautionary note to anyone thinking of releasing a UWP Forms app in the short term. Right now you cannot run the app in release mode. Windows store will only accept apps in release mode. Waiting to hear from Xamarin as to when UWP goes to full release.

See here http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/57179/uwp-immediate-crash-in-release-mode

Thursday, December 10, 2015 8:39 PM
  • User79735 posted

Having the same problem as @"PrabhatGupta.2760" Cannot compile if any XAML page is coming from shared project. I created a sample project to reproduce this issue and attached it to https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=36935

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 10:15 PM
  • User142635 posted

Is this also a release problem or is this related: I get this exception thrown: 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException' in System.Private.Reflection.Core.dll (Additional information: FileNotFoundAssemblyNotFound, ClrCompression.) and the output log contains: Loaded 'U:\SharedData\PhoneTools\AppxLayouts\bfc8d960-4e36-4f47-b4f2-ad8ab011e111VS.ReleaseARM.WindowsUser\ClrCompression.dll'...although I don't have an U: drive. I also don't have an ability to add the reference to the ClrCompression since I'm not referencing that assembly directly, but in my UWP's App.xaml.cs I have added all the classes from the XAML files created in the shared PCL as per instructions given here: https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/xamarin-forms/windows/getting-started/universal/, but that doesn't change the error above. Thanks in advance

Sunday, December 20, 2015 1:15 AM
  • User6753 posted

It would appear that "CollectionChanged" events will crash Xamarin.Forms.UWP if they are raised from a non-ui thread. This defeats the purpose of using a soft binding type design.

Is this a limitation of the platform or is this just something Xamarin missed? I remember this same issue happened in the WinRT version of Xamarin.Forms when it first came out.

An example to recreate below:

public class ObservableRangeCollection<T> : ObservableCollection<T>
    {
        public void AddRange(IEnumerable<T> items, bool triggerCollectionChangedEvent = true)
        {
            CheckReentrancy();

var itemsList = items.ToList();

foreach (var item in itemsList)
            {
                Items.Add(item);
            }

if (triggerCollectionChangedEvent && itemsList.Count > 0)
                OnCollectionChanged(new NotifyCollectionChangedEventArgs(NotifyCollectionChangedAction.Reset));
        }
    }

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 3:04 AM
  • User184181 posted

Xamarin.forms UWP app built in release mode crashes as soon as it starts.

Exception thrown: 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException' in System.Private.Reflection.Core.dll

Additional information: FileNotFound_AssemblyNotFound, ClrCompression. For more information, visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=623485

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 6:29 AM
  • User97031 posted

Has anyone created a Xamarin.Forms UWP app that runs after compiling with .net native toolchain?

Thursday, January 7, 2016 4:48 PM
  • User142635 posted

The preview page says to do this hack in order to build with .net native toolchain: https://docs.xamarin.com/guides/xamarin-forms/windows/getting-started/universal/#TargetInvocationExceptionwhenusingCompilewith.NETNativetoolchain But I don't reference and use classes from those dlls explicitely in my code... Maybe you do, or know how to make it work, please share then.

Friday, January 8, 2016 12:38 AM
  • User89714 posted

I added a UWP project to my solution today, following the instructions precisely. However, VS2015 (Enterprise) is showing:

Error Cannot create an instance of "WindowsPage". at line 1 of MainPage.xaml

This is what my MainPage.xaml contains:

I have tried it with and without the Grid from the template in there, but it makes no difference.

Any ideas?

Monday, February 8, 2016 5:02 PM
  • User76916 posted

@JohnHardman - VS Enterprise here as well. I get the error on the Visual Designer but it compiles and runs just fine.

I have a working example here: https://github.com/adamped/xarch-starter/blob/master/Mobile.WinUniversal/MainPage.xaml

Though it never used to show that error. I am going to say it has something to do with recent Xamarin updates.

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 1:01 AM
  • User89714 posted

Thanks @AdamP - I've logged it as a bug now (that's 35 outstanding again...).

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 9:01 AM
  • User89714 posted

[deleted post, as realised that what looked like a UWP issue, was actually the result of a hack for Windows Store apps that is no longer required with UWP - doing a TranslationY on the navigation page to take into account the presence of the toolbar]

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 9:28 AM
  • User76916 posted

@JohnHardman - you're beating me by a long shot. Only 9 outstanding, but I have 3 more I need to create a repro for and submit, unless I find you beat me to it :)

I had about 3 more over the past month as well but you beat me to submitting them.

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 10:40 AM
  • User89714 posted

Another change for UWP - hopefully not one that many people will hit...

If you previously, on Windows, set a Button to have IsEnabled=false, and changed the colors so that text, border and background colors were so similar that the Button was rendered but effectively invisible, you will want to change this on UWP. On UWP, the background color for a disabled button seems to be derived from the value you specify, but is not the value you specify. The solution for UWP seems to be to set Opacity to 0.02 if you don't want to see a button, but still want it rendered.

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 10:43 AM
  • User53165 posted

I too am seeing this with native tool chain build on 32bit.

@WayneGu said: Xamarin.forms UWP app built in release mode crashes as soon as it starts.

Exception thrown: 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException' in System.Private.Reflection.Core.dll

Additional information: FileNotFound_AssemblyNotFound, ClrCompression. For more information, visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=623485

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 10:11 PM
  • User141362 posted

I also have the issue with clrcompression "Exception thrown: 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException' in mscorlib.ni.dll

Additional information: Could not load file or assembly 'ClrCompression, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."

It happens in Debug mode while app is starting. Any ideas of how to solve this?

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 1:42 PM
  • User6753 posted

When there is a Native Map using a renderer on UWP, resizing the App while the map is visible creates a instant crash.

Easy to replicate, just by adding a map to a renderer with no settings then presenting that control and resizing the screen.

Has anyone managed to get a Map to render nicely in UWP with not having crashes when the app is resized?

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 7:49 PM
  • User179286 posted

Hi @AdamP , you got an UWP running with Xaml? I get for all my XAML-Pages "The name 'InitializeComponent' does not exist in " errors. Do you use a PCL or a Shared Project?

Friday, February 26, 2016 10:30 AM
  • User76916 posted

@ThomasBurkhart - Yes Xaml works fine with UWP, I do use PCL only though as you might have guessed from the other thread :)

However if you are getting InitializeComponent Errors in your error list but you can still build and run the application, this is unfortunately rather normal. Its a bug in the VS Xamarin integration. They are aware of it. Have been for a long time but no fix AFAIK. Basically, just ignore them and keep programming on.

Friday, February 26, 2016 12:24 PM
  • User179286 posted

@AdamP No I can't, it's not an Intellisense error, it's a built error. Thinking about changing my project to PCL....

Friday, February 26, 2016 12:28 PM
  • User1522 posted

Source property of an Image needs prefix assets/ if images are in the Assets folder.

Friday, February 26, 2016 9:07 PM
  • User179286 posted

Found a serious Bug in UWP with CarouselPages. PLease see here https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/62236/carouselpage-does-not-work-in-uwp-on-windows-10-mobile-and-has-bugs-under-uwp#latest

Monday, March 7, 2016 10:33 AM
  • User25537 posted

@ThomasBurkhart I think you MUST use PCL if you are trying to use xaml files... I didn't get them to work at all inside a shared project. Also read this post regarding Shared vs PCL: http://xfcomplete.net/general/2016/01/19/pcl-or-shared-project/

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 2:14 PM
  • User179286 posted

@DominikWeber Yes I know. This project is PCL. It runs on my Desktop but has the bug on the Phone.

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 4:30 PM
  • User200144 posted

@PabloGermano said: Hey everybody!

I just wanted to share with you our new tool Gorilla Player - Instant XAML preview for Xamarin.Forms. We started to work on this idea while we were working on Grial UI Kit .

Now we are very excited to announce that we will be opening a Beta testing program, hopefully sometime next week. And I want to invite you all to check it out, and of course to subscribe :)

Cheers!

I want to ask you ? How many themes does the Grial UI Kit Provide Us ? and How the flexibility is it ? Sorry for my bad english :neutral:

Thursday, March 10, 2016 2:37 PM
  • User137666 posted

Hi there @AmanKh Grial UI Kit does not provide "themes". The idea is that you could easily change a few values and you will have a new look and feel.

Please check out this video to see how quickly you can do it. If you need compliment info please send us an email to hello@grialkit.com we will be happy to help you.

Best! Pablo

Friday, March 11, 2016 1:38 PM
  • User209246 posted

Don't know if it's been written elsewhere on this forum, but this seems to work for me as a x86 fix, just add correct directives http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34424184/why-does-my-xamarin-pcl-throw-a-runtime-exception-when-building-release-for-univ

Friday, April 1, 2016 1:28 AM
  • User225119 posted

@X-D said: Is this also a release problem or is this related: I get this exception thrown: 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException' in System.Private.Reflection.Core.dll (Additional information: FileNotFoundAssemblyNotFound, ClrCompression.) and the output log contains: Loaded 'U:\SharedData\PhoneTools\AppxLayouts\bfc8d960-4e36-4f47-b4f2-ad8ab011e111VS.ReleaseARM.WindowsUser\ClrCompression.dll'...although I don't have an U: drive. I also don't have an ability to add the reference to the ClrCompression since I'm not referencing that assembly directly, but in my UWP's App.xaml.cs I have added all the classes from the XAML files created in the shared PCL as per instructions given here: https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/xamarin-forms/windows/getting-started/universal/, but that doesn't change the error above. Thanks in advance

Did you fixed it? please share the solution. Thank you.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 10:34 PM
  • User37533 posted

Was anybody able to fix this? Optionally a statement from an Xamarin.Forms team member would be highly appreciated...

Friday, August 5, 2016 10:08 AM
  • User245701 posted

var assembly = typeof(App).GetTypeInfo().Assembly; img.Source = ImageSource.FromResource("XXXXApp.Images.XXXXX.png", assembly); This code fixed the problem. I tried x86/x64/ARM build.

Monday, August 15, 2016 9:25 AM
  • User118128 posted

@ShunsukeKawai said: var assembly = typeof(App).GetTypeInfo().Assembly; img.Source = ImageSource.FromResource("XXXXApp.Images.XXXXX.png", assembly); This code fixed the problem. I tried x86/x64/ARM build.

This code fixed which problem? How do to solve the

problem??

Friday, November 18, 2016 3:54 PM
  • User230417 posted

when build i relase mode show this message!

Microsoft Visual Studio

Symbols for ntdll.dll could not be downloaded from the Microsoft Symbol Servers. Exception settings and call stacks may not work correctly. Make sure you have a network connection and try again.

OK

how to solve it?

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 4:43 PM
  • User4136 posted

Anything new about the problem: 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException' in System.Private.Reflection.Core.dll (Additional information: FileNotFound_AssemblyNotFound, ClrCompression.)?

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 12:44 PM
  • User216800 posted

@Thibault.Vellicus said: Anything new about the problem: 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException' in System.Private.Reflection.Core.dll (Additional information: FileNotFound_AssemblyNotFound, ClrCompression.)?

Same problem here... - Did anyone find a solution?

Monday, January 16, 2017 10:25 AM
  • User216800 posted

I have created a bugzilla entry: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=51565

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 7:28 AM
  • User226789 posted

tl;dr just try [CTRL + ALT + E] and switch of exceptions, then start without debugging [SHIFT + F5]

long version:

Additional problems I had and maybe solutions: - I figured out I had a problem with my XLabs version, which went away after updating both, the PCL and the UWP project to 2.3.0 pre-05 - I had an issue with an outdated SignalR version, that did not support UWP yet (upgraded to 2.2.1 now). - Moreover using the Dependency-Attribute [assembly: Dependency(typeof(MyClass))] caused NullReferenceExceptions for me, when using DependencyService.Get<> as explained in the official xamarin documentation.

Still I'm not able to build UWP releases. I must've tried almost everything entailing the following: - XamlCompilationOptions.Compile on / off (https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/showbug.cgi?id=41973) - include assemblies - copied the working UWP project over to my main solution, no luck, ended up with FileNotFoundAssemblyNotFound, ClrCompression - different build version (anniversary etc.) - different version of NetCore (5.0, 5.2.2 etc.) - I tried the directives file, but I'm not sure what to add to make the error go away... - I created a new project and built in all the functionalities (mvvm, signalR etc.) and it builds just fine in release! So I thought at least... Just turns out, I didn't have "throw on exception" activated... (CTRL + ALT + E). Turns out even a super pure Xamarin.Forms App throws some exceptions in UWP release! - When switching off exceptions, more exceptions come up (i.e. InvalidCastException). When switching these off as well, the app seems to work fine, apart from performance, which might be due to all the exception handling that is done in VS in background. Without debugger it works just fine.

So what's the catch? On the one hand the problem seems to be sowewhere in the PCL. On the other hand the bug report (see one post above by @Groeg) seems to indicate this is a VS problem.

P.S. @EvgeniyZverev I think @ShunsukeKawai is refering to http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34424184/why-does-my-xamarin-pcl-throw-a-runtime-exception-when-building-release-for-univ Maybe pictures cannot be found in UWP when using ImageSource.From... without declaring in which assembly it is in. I haven't checked on this.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 5:21 PM
  • User257550 posted

@Thibault.Vellicus said: Anything new about the problem: 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException' in System.Private.Reflection.Core.dll (Additional information: FileNotFound_AssemblyNotFound, ClrCompression.)?

Same issue here. Does someone can help us ? @jakkaj do you find a solution ?

Friday, March 3, 2017 10:01 AM
  • User168739 posted

This clrcompression issue seems to come and go on my project. Now it seems to be on permanently. It thought my project was going to use iPads but it looks like it going to be windows 10 tablet so after battling the fragility of Xamarin.Forms. I'm just about to give up. With all these posts no one from MS or Xamarin seems to know or understand the root cause and how to fix it. As some point I have to stop F%^$#ing around with a 'cool' product and deliver a business tool. I guess I'll have to figure out best way to port the screens over to window. Damn thing was 99.% done. What a waste of time....

Thursday, April 13, 2017 8:44 PM
  • User309372 posted

@PatrickLynch.Rampros said: This clrcompression issue seems to come and go on my project. Now it seems to be on permanently. It thought my project was going to use iPads but it looks like it going to be windows 10 tablet so after battling the fragility of Xamarin.Forms. I'm just about to give up. With all these posts no one from MS or Xamarin seems to know or understand the root cause and how to fix it. As some point I have to stop F%^$#ing around with a 'cool' product and deliver a business tool. I guess I'll have to figure out best way to port the screens over to window. Damn thing was 99.% done. What a waste of time....

I am totally with you Patrick. I am very disappointed on Xamarin and the support. Just creating a simple project, I get all kind of unexpected errors and the error messages are useless and misleading. How can a product like that be adopted by the developers community? Very frustrating and time consuming!!

Thursday, June 15, 2017 5:09 PM
  • User155051 posted

@jakkaj said: I too am seeing this with native tool chain build on 32bit.

@WayneGu said: Xamarin.forms UWP app built in release mode crashes as soon as it starts.

I'm experiencing the same issue - the UWP app crashes on release mode! Any updates on this bug?

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 2:32 AM