Solution: Enter Key on Textboxes RRS feed

• Question

• User824228415 posted

I have come into problems regarding adding the Entery Key functionality on the textboxes. I have found a solution and wanted to share it too.

Example 1: this example has 4 HTML input type textboxes. every time you press enter on a textbox, the focus (cursor) will transfer to the other textbox.

<input id="Text2" type="text" onKeyDown="if(event.keyCode==13) event.keyCode=9;"/>
    <input id="Text3" type="text" onKeyDown="if(event.keyCode==13) event.keyCode=9;"/>
    <input id="Text4" type="text" onKeyDown="if(event.keyCode==13) event.keyCode=9;"/>
    <input id="Text5" type="text" onKeyDown="if(event.keyCode==13) event.keyCode=9;"/>

Example 2:  this example has 4 ASP type textboxes. every time you press enter on a textbox, the focus (cursor) will transfer to the other textbox.

<asp:TextBox ID="TextBox2" runat="server" onKeyDown="if(event.keyCode==13) event.keyCode=9;"></asp:TextBox>
    <asp:TextBox ID="TextBox3" runat="server" onKeyDown="if(event.keyCode==13) event.keyCode=9;"></asp:TextBox>
    <asp:TextBox ID="TextBox4" runat="server" onKeyDown="if(event.keyCode==13) event.keyCode=9;"></asp:TextBox>
    <asp:TextBox ID="TextBox5" runat="server" onKeyDown="if(event.keyCode==13) event.keyCode=9;"></asp:TextBox>

Example 3: this example has 1 ASP textbox and 1 ASP button. when you type something in the textbox and PRESS ENTER, the click event on the button would be triggered.

<asp:TextBox ID="TextBox1" runat="server"></asp:TextBox>
    <asp:Button ID="Button1" runat="server" Text="Button" /><br />

(code behind)
    Protected Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        MsgBox("test")
    End Sub

Protected Sub TextBox1_TextChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles TextBox1.TextChanged
        TextBox1.Attributes.Add("onkeydown", "if(event.which || event.keyCode){if ((event.which == 13) || (event.keyCode == 13)) {document.getElementById('" + Button1.UniqueID + "').click();return false;}} else {return true}; ")
    End Sub

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 8:49 PM

All replies

• User139975600 posted

Many of these issues can be avoided by dealing with form submissions rather than button clicks:

<asp:Button ID="btnMySubmitButton" UseSubmitBehavior="true" runat="server"

Text="Click or press Enter" />

Note: no click event handlers for that button. We do, however, use a true value for UseSubmitBehavior (default is TRUE)

In your code-behind, check to see if the page was submitted (rather than initial load) and then react to that.protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)

{

if (IsPostBack)

{

// enter key was pressed

// do something here rather than using the button click event

}

}

My two-cents.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 3:45 PM
  • User887393078 posted

Hi,

UseSubmitBehavior gets called only when there is focus to any controls in the page. Is there any option so that when i first load the page and click on the enter should call my button's clcik event

Thanks,

Shobana

Monday, January 7, 2008 6:43 AM