none
Custom IM Client for Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm developing custom IM client for Outlook.

I have set the value for IMProviders in the registry process id and UpAndRunning value 2, everything works well.

the problem comes when we install Skype or Lync on the same machine, our IM client doen't work (IMproviders value has been overwritten by Skype  or Lync )

Office 2013 Installs lync by default.

Even if I remove lync from my system ImProviders/lync entry not remove completely. 

The value DefaultIMApp seems like doesn't reflect, irrespective of this value our IMClient app could not get connect with Outlook.

Balamurali C

Monday, May 18, 2015 3:04 PM

All replies

• Hi Balamurali,

>> The value DefaultIMApp seems like doesn't reflect, irrespective of this value our IMClient app could not get connect with Outlook.

Do you get any error message? First of all, I will recommend you to uninstall and reinstall your custom IM client to check whether it could work correct.

In my option, when outlook integrates with IM client application, it checks the registry to discover the default IM client application and then connects to it. I will recommend you check the registry keys for setting the default IM client application.

Table 1. Registry keys for setting the default IM client application

Key Entry Type Value Example
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\IM Providers\<Application name> FriendlyName REG_SZ The name of the third-party IM client application. Litware IM 2012
    ProcessName REG_SZ The process name of the third-party IM client application. litware.exe
    GUID REG_SZ A class ID (CLSID) for the root, cocreatable class in the IM application (the class that implements the IUCOfficeIntegration interface). (A GUID)
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IM Providers DefaultIMApp REG_SZ The name of the IM client application. This must be the same as the name at the top-level registry key (hive) in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Litware
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IM Providers\<Application name> UpAndRunning REG_DWORD

An integer value between 0 and 2:

• 0—Not running
    • 1—Starting
    • 2—Running
    Note
    The application name registry key must be the same as the value of the DefaultIMApp entry.

If the registry has been set, and your IM client application did not work, I suggest you check the process in the link below step by step.

# How Office integrates with an IM client application

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/jj900715.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 9:54 AM
  • Hi Balamurali C,

Have you completed your custom IM client for Outlook? I am also writing an custom IM client but stuck with event handling. Outlook is not recognizing any events from my client. Can  you please let me know how to implement it?

Regards,

Dileep

Monday, May 9, 2016 1:38 PM