none
Outlook Folder Tooltip RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I need set a tootlip to an Outlook folder, there is a way to do this?

thanks,

Mauricio.

Mauricio

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 2:12 PM

Answers

• Hello Mauricio,

The Folder class doesn't provide any property or method for that. There is no trivial way to get the job done.

• Marked as answer by MauricioUY Tuesday, March 1, 2016 4:20 PM
    Tuesday, March 1, 2016 2:21 PM

All replies

• Hello Mauricio,

The Folder class doesn't provide any property or method for that. There is no trivial way to get the job done.

• Marked as answer by MauricioUY Tuesday, March 1, 2016 4:20 PM
    Tuesday, March 1, 2016 2:21 PM
  • Thanks Eugene, and do you know the hard way? :P

cheers,

Mauricio.

Mauricio

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 3:23 PM
  • The hard way is to place your own tree view control on top. See Creating Adjacent Windows In Outlook for more information.
    Tuesday, March 1, 2016 3:32 PM
  • Another hard way would be to use the Accessibility API or UI Automation API to retrieve information about the folder tree in Outlook's Navigation Pane to help manage your custom tooltip code.

• Edited by RLWA32 Tuesday, March 1, 2016 3:37 PM
    Tuesday, March 1, 2016 3:36 PM
  • Are you sure the Accessibility API or UI Automation API allows to set a tooltip for the folder tree in Outlook?
    Tuesday, March 1, 2016 3:45 PM
  • Are you sure the Accessibility API or UI Automation API allows to set a tooltip for the folder tree in Outlook?

I never said that it did.
    Tuesday, March 1, 2016 3:51 PM
  • The original poster is asking about setting the tooltip text, not reading it. So,  the Accessibility API or UI Automation API will not help.
    Tuesday, March 1, 2016 4:04 PM
  • If you wanted to go to the trouble of receiving information from either of those API's when the mouse was positioned over a folder you could display your own custom tooltip.  That seems like the hard way to me. :)
    Tuesday, March 1, 2016 4:07 PM
  • ok, thank both.

I will concatenate "tooltip" text with actual folder name, it's not the ideal but "ideal solutions sometimes are enemies of good solutions" ;)

cheers,

Mauricio.

Mauricio

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 4:19 PM
  • ok, thank both.

I will concatenate "tooltip" text with actual folder name, it's not the ideal but "ideal solutions sometimes are enemies of good solutions" ;)

cheers,

Mauricio.

Mauricio

Mauricio,

You can see the information available through Accessibility and UI Automation by using the Inspect.exe tool available in the Windows SDK.

Good luck!

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 4:25 PM