Windows Media Foundation APIs in Windows Phone 8 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We known Windows Phone 8 share the same core technology with Windows 8.
    We had developed a Vide Editing App for Windows 8 store. We use Source Reader to get decoded video/audio data, and then push them to Sink Writer. the decode and encode process are all hardware accelerated. Now, we want our application migrate to Windows Phone 8. But, we found the Source Reader and Sink Writer are all disappeared. Only Media Engine API is available.

I want to know

1. Why Source Reader and Sink Writer are removed from Windows Phone 8 Media Foundation API. Does Microsoft have plan to support Source Reader and Sink Writer in later?
    2. For our requirement-- encode and save media file, implement the basic function of video editing, do you have any suggestion to complete it?

Thanks in advance!

Monday, December 3, 2012 3:29 AM

Answers

• I don't have any idea.  If I did, I still couldn't tell you.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

• Marked as answer by Jane Che(HZ) Tuesday, January 22, 2013 7:53 AM
    Tuesday, December 4, 2012 3:13 PM

All replies

• Judging from the massive difference between WMF on WP8 and for Win 8/RT, I can only surmise that video editing is not a scenario which our Phone team decided was going to be supported.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, December 3, 2012 7:35 PM
  • Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply.
    I think it will be so bad if Windows Phone 8 can not support video editing. We hope to know  when this scenario will be supported.

Jane Che

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 9:04 AM
  • I don't have any idea.  If I did, I still couldn't tell you.

• Marked as answer by Jane Che(HZ) Tuesday, January 22, 2013 7:53 AM
    Tuesday, December 4, 2012 3:13 PM
  • Hi, Jane!

I have same question today as you had.

So did you find solution? 

Paul

Monday, June 16, 2014 2:28 AM
  • Windows phone 8.1 makes Windows phone development much closer to Windows Store apps, including additional Media Foundation APIs.

See What's New in Windows Phone 8.1

Monday, June 16, 2014 4:56 AM