Peer-to-Peer Networking: Using Certificates from the Windows Certificate Store RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

This may be a rather preliminary question, as I'm still quite new to working with networking and security. I've been having some trouble finding answers to this question, so any information or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I'm working on getting server authentication set up for a peer-to-peer application (any peer can take on the role of the client or server). I'm currently trying to explore fee-less options for obtaining a digital certificate. I've looked into CAs like Let's Encrypt, which makes it possible to use the certificates for non-web servers/websites through the dns-01 challenge, but ideally the server should remain non-public, and it seems like going that route would require still some public DNS server. I'm aware that a CSR can be sent to a root CA in the Windows Local Machine certificate store to obtain a CA-signed certificate, however, I'm wondering if it is possible to re-purpose / use any of the certificates that are already in the certificate store for my application's server authentication? Is this an accepted practice or must I purchase a separate digital certificate to import into the certificate store?

Thanks.
    • Edited by NessDev Wednesday, May 13, 2020 6:43 PM
    Wednesday, May 13, 2020 6:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting here.

Please check the following document which mentioned something about Peer-to-peer networking security

There is also an article with Google "Authentication in peer-to-peer systems". Please check if these could help.

Best Regards,

Drake

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 28, 2020 2:47 AM