none
Kernel Debug Network Adapter doesn't request(?) IP from DHCP RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to configure network kernel debugging on a dev platform in a lab. This is not exactly one LAN (there is a router between my dev machine and the lab), but otherwise it's close and FW doesn't block connections to lab machines (like telnet to port 50000, verified).

I've configured the target platform following strictly the instructions in:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh439346(v=vs.85).aspx

(Yes, the network controller is one of the supported.)

The kernel debug interface gets created ("Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter") and I've configured it's MAC in DHCP so it should get an address. The problem is that it doesn't happen. Needles to say I can't connect to the target with WinDbg. What I see with ipconfig /all is:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection* 1:
       Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 06-00-C0-FF-EE-00
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::29b5:3e91:7ba5:134c%2(Preferred)
       Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.19.76(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
       DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 42502280
       DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-3B-89-CE-42-68-05-CA-1E-F0-12
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
                                           fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
                                           fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Anything I miss? Is it possble to setup network kernel debugging in my case?

Krzysztof

Friday, September 5, 2014 12:03 PM

All replies

• the kernel debugging over IP requires both machines to be on the same subnet. it isn't a fully featured IP stack either. As pavel suggested, see if you can get it working on a simple hub and move up from there

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, September 5, 2014 10:16 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

Connecting both the machines to the same network switch (I hope it does not need to be a hub ;-) ) is very difficult due to some other restrictions and makes the whole idea mostly useless.

Yeah... That's why I've asked this question. Since I don't have to provide the address of the target to WinDbg then there is probably some broadcast involved, right? So it won't work in my case... That's a real pity it's designed that way...

Maybe I could use some debug proxy in the lab? I think there is something called kdsrv. Can I run it like this:

PROXY> kdsrv -t tcp:port=50000

and then use WinDbg like so:

DEV> windbg -k kdsrv:server=@{tcp:server=PROXY,port=50000},\

trans=@{net:port=50001,key=KEY} -y SYMBOLS

Can kdsrv use "net" mode when connecting to the TARGET?

Or do I have to resort to 1394 or USB?

Krzysztof

Sunday, September 7, 2014 9:43 PM
  • Since from what I see here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff537844(v=vs.85).aspx

it seems that ConnectType "net" is probably not supported for kdsrv smart client, I decided to go for 1394. There is problem running windbg with appropriate command line arguments:

PS C:\Windows\system32> windbg -k kdsrv:server=@{tcp:server=10.102.25.32,port=50000},trans=@{1394:channel=0}
    Unexpected token ':channel' in expression or statement.
    At line:1 char:82
    + windbg -k kdsrv:server=@{tcp:server=10.102.25.32,port=50000},trans=@{1394:channel <<<< =0}
        + CategoryInfo          : ParserError: (:channel:String) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnexpectedToken

What's wrong here? I couldn't figure it out... (I'm using windbg from Windows Kits\8.1\Debuggers\x64\ as installed with VS2013).

BUT when I ran windbg without arguments and applied tcp:server=10.102.25.32,port=50000 to "File/Connect to Remote Stub..." and then "File/Kernel Debug..." with 1394:0 then it's a SUCCESS. I can connect, break the target, let it go again. :-)

Krzysztof

Monday, September 8, 2014 10:14 AM
  • Is it possible to use ConnectType net with kdsrv? According to my brief attempt, probably not... :-(

Why command line arguments are not accepted by windbg?

Krzysztof

Monday, September 8, 2014 12:28 PM
  • The NIC is one of the supported ones---verified.

Yes, you are right. I'll try to reduce it to the simplest setup. 

Krzysztof

Monday, September 8, 2014 10:08 PM