none
MSDN licensing regarding home versus work RRS feed

• Question

• At home, I'm a hobbyist developer; I bought Visual Studio 2012 with MSDN.  At work, I'm a professional developer, but don't have MSDN.

Sometimes, at work, I need to debug weird issues on particular operating systems and locales.  It can be difficult for the company to acquire these for various reasons.

Can I use my home MSDN license to download stuff to use at work?  It'd only be for my use, and it's clearly development/test work.  MSDN licenses are to individuals, correct?

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 8:02 PM

Answers

• Thats exactly correct Myria.  MSDN licenses individuals, so you're licensed to do what you're proposing.  

Perhaps there's a way to get some compensation from your company for using your subscription to help them as well?   Just a thought!

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

• Proposed as answer by Mike KinsmanModerator Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by Myria Thursday, September 6, 2012 9:31 PM
    Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:36 PM

All replies

• I have the same situation.  Has there been an answer to this yet?
    Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:26 PM
  • Thats exactly correct Myria.  MSDN licenses individuals, so you're licensed to do what you're proposing.  

Perhaps there's a way to get some compensation from your company for using your subscription to help them as well?   Just a thought!

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

• Proposed as answer by Mike KinsmanModerator Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by Myria Thursday, September 6, 2012 9:31 PM
    Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:36 PM