Disappointing snag (HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED)

Question

• Hi guys;

I grabbed the Windows 8 Dev Preview 32-bit ISO, w/out App Building Tools.  Went to install it on a Windows VPC VM, only to get HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

Screen message, also, said “Your PC ran  into a problem that it couldn’t handle, and now it need to restart.”  That did no good.  It, also, said search the error online which, I did.  Found that others had the same experience but, no solutions were offered… do you have one??

Cheers,

Drew

Drew MS Partner / MS Beta Tester / Pres. Computer Issues Pres. Computer Issues www.drewsci.com
    (HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED)
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:29 PM

Answers

• I have found the remedy, have the answer...

In VirtualBox 'control panel' > Settings > Network
    There is a box that says "Cable Connect" <--- that needs to be, must be Checked (check mark in)
    AND Adaptor #1 (tab) can be set to NAT

This will give Win8 Dev Preview VM running on VirtualBox immediate internet connectivity.

To install Win8 on a VirtualBox vm you will need to know & do the following:
    In the System settings section for the Virtual Box VM, enable (check) Enable IO APIC on the Motherboard tab and Enable PAE/NX on the Processor tab.

BTW, this has been written whilst, actually on Windows 8... neat having Spell Check when writing here thanks to Win8 having spell check everywhere.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Computer Issues
    Clients Welcome

Drew MS Partner / MS Beta Tester / Pres. Computer Issues Pres. Computer Issues www.drewsci.com
    • Marked as answer by Drew1903 Monday, October 3, 2011 3:50 AM
    • Edited by Drew1903 Monday, October 3, 2011 8:33 AM
    Monday, October 3, 2011 3:50 AM

All replies

• use another virtualization program, VPC VM suffers from a lot of errors when trying to load windows 8.  Maybe try virtualbox?
    • Proposed as answer by Dyskmasterj Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:58 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:57 PM
  • A lot of people are saying VPC doesn't work with it, VirtualBox does work however and a guide can be found here.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:13 PM
  • I have seen posts that VMWare works if you do not allow the default install but choose Other for the OS type.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:53 PM
  • Yes, confirmed & thanks... VirtualBox is the solution.  I'm installing Win 8 as we speak.

A colleague & mate of mine w/in Microsoft gave me this same answer and a link that y'all might like even better than the 1 Daniel supplied... no offence, Daniel but, the Download link seems more obvious & clear here

http://geekswithblogs.net/RollingIT/archive/2011/09/14/getting-hands-on-with-virtual-machine-of-windows-8.aspx

Once VirtualBox is installed the 'How To' of getting the vm created & an OS (namely Win 8) installed is pretty much the expected norm, not to mention it gives instructions w/ each step.

Seems surprising to me Microsoft's own Windows VPC wouldn't run Windows 8

I assigned 1 Gig RAM to the Win8 vm & made the VHD 100GB... will see how that goes, @ least for now.

• Marked as answer by Drew1903 Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:17 AM
    • Edited by Drew1903 Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:19 AM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:16 AM
  • Ok, I now have a Win8 Dev Preview vm running.  Pretty cool except, so far I haven't been able to have it connect to the Net, like any of my other VMs.  Configured such that it should connect but, alas...

Trying to get this rectified asap.  It's interesting enough just having what I do now but, certainly would like the Net & the OS to be Activated.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:34 PM
  • FWIW, it is auto-activated.  That is why you do not need a product key.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:41 PM
  • I know that & that's not the issue... it's that the vm is not connecting to the Net like all my other VMs do, even though would appear that it should be w/ the settings as they are.  Thanks anyway Colin.  Sorry if you misunderstood the concern, maybe I didn't word it well (enough).
    Friday, September 16, 2011 12:20 AM
  • I'm still trying to find an answer to get past the fact that the VirtualBox Windows 8 vm doesn't (currently) connect to the Net... I have it set to Bridge to the Host Machine wireless card, same as my Windows VPC VMs, that DO connect.  Anybody who has it connecting running a virtualBox vm tell me what settings worked for you, please & thank you.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:29 AM
  • The virtual box forums are at

http://forums.virtualbox.org/

you can bet that many of the folks there are installing the WDP.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:52 AM
  • Good suggestion.  Not easy to get in there & ask or find out something but, would seem to be an apt location.  Thanks.
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 8:30 AM
  • I have found the remedy, have the answer...

In VirtualBox 'control panel' > Settings > Network
    There is a box that says "Cable Connect" <--- that needs to be, must be Checked (check mark in)
    AND Adaptor #1 (tab) can be set to NAT

This will give Win8 Dev Preview VM running on VirtualBox immediate internet connectivity.

To install Win8 on a VirtualBox vm you will need to know & do the following:
    In the System settings section for the Virtual Box VM, enable (check) Enable IO APIC on the Motherboard tab and Enable PAE/NX on the Processor tab.

BTW, this has been written whilst, actually on Windows 8... neat having Spell Check when writing here thanks to Win8 having spell check everywhere.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Computer Issues
    Clients Welcome

• Marked as answer by Drew1903 Monday, October 3, 2011 3:50 AM
    • Edited by Drew1903 Monday, October 3, 2011 8:33 AM
    Monday, October 3, 2011 3:50 AM