none
Assigning text/values to drop down list

Question

• My drop down is in the column of a list.  It contains usernames and I want to be able to access their email address while showing the username to the end user.  I'm sure this can be done with custom development of a web part, but I don't want to go this route and prefer an easier solution.  

I looked at the drop down in the designer and with in SP using its built in editor to see if there's a way to set the text and values for the drop down, but didn't see anything.  Setting the text and values for the ddl would enable the text to be the username and the value to be the email address.  This would allow me to get the email address and send an email to the person selected in the drop down.

Is there a way to assign a value, in addition to the text currently set, in a drop down list without doing any custom development work such as creating a web part?

Monday, March 27, 2017 1:51 PM

All replies

• Hi new- not sure I fully understand what you're trying to do. Sounds like a cascading dropdown. You can do that with InfoPath, or you could set up a SP Designer workflow to get the selected user's email.

cameron rautmann

Monday, March 27, 2017 5:59 PM
  • This wouldn't be a cascading drop down, but accessing two properties in the same one.

Drop downs in asp.net have a selected value and selected item property. I'm trying to see if something similar exists in SP.  I'm new to SP and want the easiest solution which is why I thought of this.

For example, if a user chooses Dan item in the drop drop down, then the selected value would be set to "Dan@email.com".  This can then be used to send an email to the user chosen in the drop down.

Monday, March 27, 2017 6:17 PM
  • Then I was correct. You would have to use InfoPath or Designer to accomplish that. Or, you could create JS code for that.

cameron rautmann

Monday, March 27, 2017 6:21 PM
  • A JS approach may be best since I'm familiar with it.  It would be nice to also know how to do it in the designer though.

Will you please provide clarification on where and how this is done in the designer?  We're using the 2013 SP designer.

Do you know any articles that will show me how to use JS to do this? Or, possibly something something similar enough I can figure it out from there.

Monday, March 27, 2017 6:29 PM
  • For designer, see the first link. It's not your exact situation, but will give you an idea on how to do it. For JS, see the second link.

http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/59266/how-do-i-have-a-workflow-update-set-a-field-in-the-current-list

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18351921/how-to-populate-a-cascading-dropdown-with-jquery

cameron rautmann

Monday, March 27, 2017 6:38 PM
  • Thanks for the links.  I can imagine how the JS one could work with a few changes. I understand how they're setting the JS except I don't understand how to get the "email value" from the JS with SharePoint.

I'm currently using the MS Flows to do most of this work, but can use a SP workflow to get the emails "value".

How do I access the JS values from SP to get the associated email address being assigned? 

Monday, March 27, 2017 8:18 PM
  • I'm assuming you have created a choice field which is displayed as drop down menu. If you are having specific set of users why not have it as a lookup field? You can create a lookup list with username and email fields and use the username field as a lookup into your main list instead of a choice field. You can use the lookup ID of the selected value to retrieve the item from the lookup list and get the email value.

NLV

MCTS | Blog | Twitter | Linked In
    If this post helps or answers your question, "Vote" or "Mark as answer".

Monday, March 27, 2017 9:09 PM