Show Duplicate Row Group Entries in a Matrix - SSRS 2005 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Matrix report that I created in SSRS 2005. The first row group contains a two digit code with four possible values -- "02", "03", "04" and "16". When the report runs, it shows one entry for "02" and then contains blanks until it encounters the first "03" row. I know this "hide duplicates" behavior is by design for Matrix row groups. However, I need the row group code to display on each row. The report is being exported to Excel and there must be a value shown in this column.

I've experimented with the HideDuplicates property but there does not seem to be any method to turn off this function. Is there any technique that I can use so that this row group value can be displayed on each row?

Thank you.

David

Monday, November 24, 2008 12:36 PM

Answers

• Instead of this:

02                   3000                    20

400                      35

500                      2000

03                   5000                   30

300                    30

He wants this:

02                   400                      35

02                   500                      2000

03                   300                    30

But he has the data grouped in a matrix...

I was going to suggest grouping by Right(Fields!myField.Value, 1). I think this will work as long as the rightmost digit is unique.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 6:49 PM

All replies

• The problem is you've grouped by this field. So all the red M&Ms are in a group and labelled "red".

If there is no other field to uniquely identify these rows, then why don't you just not make it a group?

Monday, November 24, 2008 4:07 PM
  • The report needs to be in a Matrix format in order to support dynamic column groupings. This column is needed for display on the Excel worksheet.  I do not think it is possible to add an item to a SSRS 2005 Matrix without it becoming grouped.
    Monday, November 24, 2008 6:44 PM
  • Hello David,

Could you perhaps use a Case statement and default a value for where there isn't any, in your SQL (in the dataset)?

Monday, November 24, 2008 8:12 PM
  • There is a value for every row. However, when the matrix groups, it hides the value after the first instance is displayed.

Monday, November 24, 2008 9:11 PM
  • Hello David,

Could you show how you want your data displayed as opposed to what the matrix is doing so it is easy to visualize?

Thanks.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 6:41 PM
  • Instead of this:

400                      35

500                      2000

300                    30

He wants this:

02                   400                      35

02                   500                      2000

03                   300                    30

But he has the data grouped in a matrix...

I was going to suggest grouping by Right(Fields!myField.Value, 1). I think this will work as long as the rightmost digit is unique.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 6:49 PM
  • I think I figured out a way.  Right-click your first field in the matrix and do "Edit Group..."  for the group by expression, concatonate all the fields you want to display repeating.  Like: Fields!A.Value+Fields!B.Value+Fields!C.Value.  I only had to do this on the first group, not all of them.  It's my first column in the Matrix group-by, so you might try it on the first column of that if you have issues.
    --Evan
    • Proposed as answer by Lanthar Dalton Tuesday, October 6, 2009 7:53 PM
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 6:39 PM
  • Evan's solution worked for me.  This made the first column properly repeat the value, while my other grouping columns and repeating sections of the matrix were in no way negatively affected by this change.  Nice trick.

Thanks Evan.
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 7:55 PM
  • Hi,

I have the same issue, I did not follow the solution above.
    Can you pls give details  like in above example, Right click the '02' field and do ???

I need it immediately
    Pls reply ASAP.

Thanks in advance!
    Monday, January 18, 2010 7:33 PM
  • Hi Evan,

thanks this is nice help...
    but i need small change

i want to see the reprot like this

now it is showing:
                             colum1
    group1 group12    20
    group1 group13    30
    group1 group14    40

but i want to see
                             colum1
    group1 group12    20
               group13    30
               group14    40

i want the group to be repeated but it should not be invisible because i need to give alternate colors including the groups

Thanks,
    Eshwar
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 9:07 AM
  • I know this is 3 years late haha...BUT...you a genius BRUH!  Great tip, worked great!

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 1:18 PM
  • I had a similiar issue where I was displaying a Status, and although there were only three distinct values (i.e. NV, P, S) the value "S" appeared as two separate rows.  Using AON Hewitt's lead concerning the Right function, I instead used a Left(Fields!myField.Value,1) and it worked.  I made the change on the Group Properties, under the General tab.  Strange, but it worked and that's is what I needed.
    Tuesday, October 8, 2013 10:07 PM