Where to start for a real beginner RRS feed

• Question

• I am an absolute beginner but excited about this software suite.

This is what I've accomplished so far:

1) I think I have all the software installed correctly

2) I have run the VPL software and got an NXT V1 robot to respond

3) I have run the VSE with the reference platform 2011 and by using the dashboard, I've made the robot move around... so cool!

But after reading some of the docs, I am very confused about so many things like all this Run DSS node and manifest stuff.

I have absolutely no experience in programming. Yet I am looking forward to learning more and have even entered the contest.

Is there a book or other reference material (written for dummies) that can get me pointed in the right direction? Is there a block diagram that shows me the relationships between all these programs  i.e. RDS, VPL, VSE, DDS?

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 4:46 AM

Answers

• To get started; I recommend above all, Patience. :) Microsoft Robotics Studio can do alot of things, and requires a good understanding of the C# language.(you must know the Basics, to understand whats going on)

To get it running on the outside world you will also need to understand the microcontroller of your choice; its platform, language, etc,.. (hence "Eddie" the robot from Parallax; ready to go, and beginner friendly)

The Wrox book for Microsoft Robotic Studio is well written, and gives you a good understanding of what goes on. I havent bought the new book from Shih-Chung Kang, Wei-Tze Chang, yet....will do a soon as I can.

Its easy for a beginner to get burdened out with too much info, and code syntax. Take it easy, have fun and above all have patience. :)

• Marked as answer by Trevor Taylor Thursday, November 10, 2011 5:34 AM
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 5:35 AM

All replies

• Try this book Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio or Programming Robotics Studio
    George Peter
    Friday, November 4, 2011 3:38 PM
  • Thanks great idea... I looked them up on Amazon...Those two seem a bit dated...so I think I'll visit my local B&N store and see how current the examples are. My hope is to find a book that is not only current but also well written.

There is also this book.  

Go to "Robot Development Using Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio" page
    Is only a few month and also kind of expensive.
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 3:03 AM
  • To get started; I recommend above all, Patience. :) Microsoft Robotics Studio can do alot of things, and requires a good understanding of the C# language.(you must know the Basics, to understand whats going on)

To get it running on the outside world you will also need to understand the microcontroller of your choice; its platform, language, etc,.. (hence "Eddie" the robot from Parallax; ready to go, and beginner friendly)

The Wrox book for Microsoft Robotic Studio is well written, and gives you a good understanding of what goes on. I havent bought the new book from Shih-Chung Kang, Wei-Tze Chang, yet....will do a soon as I can.

Its easy for a beginner to get burdened out with too much info, and code syntax. Take it easy, have fun and above all have patience. :)

• Marked as answer by Trevor Taylor Thursday, November 10, 2011 5:34 AM
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 5:35 AM
  • Thank you... patience... good advice... I did do a little programming back in the old Dbase/Clipper days and it did take a lot of patience... even more with Ashton Tate
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 5:45 PM
  • Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio by wrox  is considered to be the bible for MSRS. The samples are updated for MSRS 4 beta too and it has all the topics covered in depth so i will prefer it . I have read that book twice but still i keep referring to that book .
    George Peter

Sunday, November 6, 2011 10:38 AM
  • Thanks again George

... are you referring to the first edition where the updated samples are on the web???     (I couldn't find a second edition)

Bill

Monday, November 7, 2011 3:14 PM
  • All of the samples for the Wrox book are available from:

http://promrds.codeplex.com

They are up to date, except for a few that are no longer applicable due to hardware that has been discontinued.

Trevor

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 5:37 AM
  • Thanks Trevor... I just book the book :-)

Thursday, November 10, 2011 12:43 AM
  • The VPL book you mentioned has a lot of step-by-step examples. So it might be easier to start with than the Wrox book.

Good luck!

Trevor

Thursday, November 10, 2011 5:34 AM
  • I do like step by step examples!!!   especially when trying to get past all the new acronyms.. yikes    thanks again
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 4:42 PM
  • As the orginal poster stated he had no programming experience I wanted to highlight this great resource. a complete introduction to programming in C# in 24 lessons.

http://channel9.msdn.com/Series/C-Sharp-Fundamentals-Development-for-Absolute-Beginners

Thursday, January 26, 2012 4:52 PM
  • Wow Thanks... I particularly like the title "absolute beginner"... that would be me :-)
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 5:33 PM