"Bring Your Own License" pricing is the same as normal pricing RRS feed

• Question

• I have been tasked with evaluating if Azure will work for my company (as opposed to continuing with an on-premise datacenter).

I was looking at the Virtual Machines in the Azure Pricing Calculator and it has the following text: 

>NOTE: Save up to 40 percent or more on Windows Server virtual machines using your existing licenses with Software Assurance. Learn more

When I click on "Learn More" I am taken to a page that has the option of "Plans & Pricing" at the top.  So I click on that and end up here.

I selected that I would be using my own Windows Server 2016 license.  I then looked at several options for virtual machines.  (I was using pricing for "US West" for both.)

For every single one I looked at the price for the "Bring Your Own License" was exactly the same hourly rate as the "normal" pay-for-windows-as-part-of-the-VM pricing.  

Am I missing something here?  I guess it said "up to" 40 percent.  But shouldn't at least a few of them have some kind of price difference?

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 7:45 PM

Answers

• As per the Azure Hybrid Use Benefit datasheet, the benefit offers the below :- 

For every 2-processor Windows Server license or Windows Server license with 16-cores covered with Software Assurance, you can run either of the following at the base compute rate:

• Up to two machines with up to 8 cores or
    • One virtual machine with up to 16 cores.

You can also run virtual machines with more than 16 cores by stacking licenses. For example, for two 2-processor licenses or two 16-core licenses, you may run a virtual machine with up to 32 cores.

Please check the below link for more details:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/hybrid-use-benefit/

Even the FAQ mentions the same. You may also chat or call Sales from the above link for further help.

Sapna G

• Edited by Sapna Girish Wednesday, April 5, 2017 2:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by Vaccanoll Wednesday, April 5, 2017 4:27 PM
    Wednesday, April 5, 2017 2:02 PM

All replies

• As per the Azure Hybrid Use Benefit datasheet, the benefit offers the below :- 

For every 2-processor Windows Server license or Windows Server license with 16-cores covered with Software Assurance, you can run either of the following at the base compute rate:

• Up to two machines with up to 8 cores or
    • One virtual machine with up to 16 cores.

You can also run virtual machines with more than 16 cores by stacking licenses. For example, for two 2-processor licenses or two 16-core licenses, you may run a virtual machine with up to 32 cores.

Please check the below link for more details:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/hybrid-use-benefit/

Even the FAQ mentions the same. You may also chat or call Sales from the above link for further help.

Sapna G

• Edited by Sapna Girish Wednesday, April 5, 2017 2:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by Vaccanoll Wednesday, April 5, 2017 4:27 PM
    Wednesday, April 5, 2017 2:02 PM
  • Thank you.  I am guessing the page I was on that actually listed BYOL prices was out of date or somehow not intended to be used anymore then...

Still, if that is the case, it should not have been linked to from the main Azure Pricing page.

Also, I tried to use the chat from the Azure Pricing page to ask about this (as you suggested).  The person I was connected to said he did not know anything about pricing.  He said he was just "pre-sales" (whatever that is). I must say it made me not want to use the chat anymore.

• Edited by Vaccanoll Wednesday, April 5, 2017 4:20 PM
    Wednesday, April 5, 2017 4:17 PM
  • You may provide your feedback using the link below:

https://feedback.azure.com/forums/34192--general-feedback

This will help in improving and imbibing new things.

Sapna G

• Proposed as answer by Sapna Girish Thursday, April 13, 2017 11:35 AM
    Wednesday, April 5, 2017 4:52 PM