none
Most normal way to deploy WinStore/Win8 apps?

Question

• We've been writing WinForms apps for years and deploying to our internal company users via built-in ClickOnce.  It works great.. not just for initial install but especially for updates.

Now we're in the Windows 8 world and building modernUI/Windows Store apps as they are the new thing.  As I understand it, we can deploy these ways:

- Sideloading w/ key (if users only Win 8.1 Pro)
    - Sideloading w/o key (if users Win 8.1 Enterprise)
    - Intune (costly and therefore only for very large shops)
    - Microsoft Store (though requires all users to have Microsoft accounts)

And sideloading means an IT person would have to perform updates on every client machine as not just a "click" for the user.

Compared with ClickOnce, I'm HATING all of these options.  It's like we're taking steps backward in ease of deployments.

That said, what is the most NORMAL way to deploy these new Win8 apps of ours?  I don't want to be a trendsetter but rather just follow along with what the masses are doing.

Thanks.

• Moved by Amanda Zhu Monday, October 27, 2014 6:20 AM
    • Moved by Jamles Hez Monday, October 27, 2014 6:53 AM
    Friday, October 24, 2014 5:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Coojbs,

Because your issue is about deploying windows store app, I moved this thread to Building Windows Store apps with C# or VB forum. You will get better support and solution there.

Thanks,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, October 27, 2014 6:21 AM
  • Hi coojbs,

Move to Publish forum for a better support.

what is the most NORMAL way to deploy these new Win8 apps of ours

-> If you are working on a public app, publish to the store is a good way. If you are working on a enterprise app, use your company server is suggested.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

• Edited by Jamles Hez Monday, October 27, 2014 6:55 AM
    Monday, October 27, 2014 6:53 AM
  • If the device management system you are using right now allows you to run Power Shell commandlets you can install packages as described in this article: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/jj657971.aspx

The only Microsoft Tools that allow to directly automate the process right now are Windows InTune or the Microsoft System Center Manager.

Monday, October 27, 2014 8:05 AM
  • This sucks.  ClickOnce with WinForms was WAY better.  This is 10 steps back for Microsoft.

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 4:06 PM