How to restrict number of users in a sharepoint group RRS feed

• Question

• I have a unique requirement, we are developing a sharepoint product which should have a user based licensing. If this product is deployed with 12 user licences, then only 12 domain users should have access to a particular sharepoint group who will have access to the sharepoint site.

And also can we restrict users to create a new group in a SharePoint site

Can anyone give suggestions on user based licensing for deploying a sharepoint product.

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 5:28 AM

Answers

• I'm afraid I can't think of an easy solution for you.  If you created an event receiver to check a particular group, what's to stop your customers administrator changing the group that has access?

Depending on your solution and your code, you might be better to limit the number of concurrent connections to your chosen number rather than restrict the number of accounts that can have access.  Failing that, you could try posting your question in a more specific forum with a lot of development experienced readers.  Either way, good luck Sagsmiles and don't forget to come back and update us even if you do get an answer elsewhere.

Paul Turner http://redmanta.co.uk/blog Twitter: @RedMantaUK MCTS:WSS,MOSS,2010 MCITP:2010.
    Please remember to click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful.

• Marked as answer by Shimin Huang Friday, May 18, 2012 6:03 AM
    Friday, May 11, 2012 2:31 PM

All replies

• The ability to manage permissions or create groups is included in the "Full Control" permission.  You can restrict this to a certain number of users or create your own custom level of permissions. 

As for the restriction of users within a group, I've never seen this done, my only suggestion would be to make a role responsible for the ownership of the group so there is accountability or grant access via an AD group so your sys admin has control over membership.

Paul Turner http://redmanta.co.uk/blog Twitter: @RedMantaUK MCTS:WSS,MOSS,2010 MCITP:2010.
    Please remember to click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 8:16 AM
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply...

As this is a product, i could not have control on the customer's administrators who are accoutable for those groups. So, there is a chance to incerease the number of users in that group. As this product should have a behaviour like CALs, so that restricted number of users should have access to this product usage based on their licensing model(User based licencing CALs).

I am just wondering, is there any option to run a code block(like any event handlers or event receivers!!!), while the user is added into a sharepoint group.

Thursday, May 10, 2012 3:03 AM
  • I'm afraid I can't think of an easy solution for you.  If you created an event receiver to check a particular group, what's to stop your customers administrator changing the group that has access?

Depending on your solution and your code, you might be better to limit the number of concurrent connections to your chosen number rather than restrict the number of accounts that can have access.  Failing that, you could try posting your question in a more specific forum with a lot of development experienced readers.  Either way, good luck Sagsmiles and don't forget to come back and update us even if you do get an answer elsewhere.

• Marked as answer by Shimin Huang Friday, May 18, 2012 6:03 AM
    Friday, May 11, 2012 2:31 PM
  • you could create a timer job that would poll user groups for the total number of users. compare that to some value you store that indicates licenses. likewise in the oeprational code you can poll the timer job to make sure the timer job is active to prevent people from turning it off.
    Sunday, May 13, 2012 8:24 PM