“We couldn’t get your developer license” on CP clean install

Question

• Hi Mike,

Thanks for looking into this.

I did a clean install of Win8 CP and then a clean install of Visual Studio 11 Pro Beta within that and, yet, I get the exact same error message when trying to go through the License acquisition process.

Others have reported the same thing.

As a result, I must conclude that the problem is more pervasive and is not  caused solely by installing Windows 8 over Windows 7.

It's been a week now since the release of Win8 CP and VS 11 Beta, and I am still waiting for the day when I will be able to compile and run my first Metro app!  Not an impressive 'out of the box' experience.

Charles S. Cotton

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 11:29 PM

Answers

• Hi Charles,

just a followup on what we found last week on what finally worked.  We found that the task scheduler service wasn't running which the licensing services depend on.  Once we got that started again, we were able to get the developer license.

thanks for all the patience,

mike

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 4:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Charles,

could you issue a show-windowsdeveloperlicenseregistration from powershell running as administrator, after failure, go to the following

1. open the start menu
    2. type event viewer
    3. Select Settings
    4. click 'view event logs'
    5. Look in the Administrative Events Section (under Custom Views)
    6. Look for a Error Entry with a source of 'Store-Licensing' (look at recent failures from the above issued command)
    7. Open up the entry
    8. Click Details
    9. Switch to XML View

Send the contents of this view - feel free to remove any personally identifiable information.

That will help us see if we are running into a new type of issue with developer licenses.

thanks!

mike

Thursday, March 08, 2012 1:28 AM
  • Thanks, Mike!

Here is the XML content you requested:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
      <Provider Name="Microsoft-WS-Licensing" Guid="{ED76D77F-7FB5-4EE4-8268-EE46212CB2D3}" />
      <EventID>258</EventID>
      <Version>0</Version>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>0</Task>
      <Opcode>0</Opcode>
      <Keywords>0x2000000000000001</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-03-08T19:22:06.809418000Z" />
      <EventRecordID>72</EventRecordID>
      <Correlation ActivityID="{4B59E02E-FD5E-0002-4AE0-594B5EFDCC01}" />
      <Execution ProcessID="3564" ThreadID="3416" />
      <Channel>Microsoft-WS-Licensing/Admin</Channel>
      <Computer>YYY-ZZZZ-XXXX</Computer>
      <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-0000000000-000000000-000000000-1000" />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data Name="ErrorString">The Windows Store Service reported the licensing client detected an issue with secure components.</Data>
      <Data Name="HRESULT">3225358356</Data>
      </EventData>
      </Event>

++++++++ END: XML Content

An 'issue with secure components' ... I wonder what that's about.

Thanks for you help.

I've altered the Computer and Security UserID items, only, which could be considered sensitive.

Charles.

Charles S. Cotton

Thursday, March 08, 2012 7:36 PM
  • Hi Charles,

I am looking into the error message above. It is thrown in many different locations in the source.  Can you email me at mikewong at microsoft.com with your direct contact info?  I might want to collect some specific information to get more understanding of the license failure in a non-upgrade scenario.

thanks for the patience,

mike

Friday, March 09, 2012 10:12 PM
  • Hi,

I had the same error. A clean install of Win8 CP logging in with live ID + VS 11 Beta and I couldn't get a developer license.

I don't know why, but if you create a local user and try to get you developer license with this user, it works!
    At least, it worked with me.

Best,

Victor

Saturday, March 10, 2012 4:38 PM
  • HI Victor,

I also did a clean install, two times i tried but both ended up the same error as yours. It is very frustrating and dissapointing that Microsoft release such a thing with such an obvious unresolved bug.

Could you details on how you create a local user and try to get developer license with that?

I tired with what seems to be your method, created windows live ID and tried to "Switch to a Microsoft account", at the end of setup, it keep saying "Your account wasn't changed to this Microsoft account, Code 0xd000005e"
    • Edited by mce16 Monday, March 12, 2012 7:14 AM
    Monday, March 12, 2012 4:23 AM
  • Hi Charles,

just a followup on what we found last week on what finally worked.  We found that the task scheduler service wasn't running which the licensing services depend on.  Once we got that started again, we were able to get the developer license.

thanks for all the patience,

mike

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 4:15 PM