none
Cannot fetch a row from OLE DB provider "MSIDXS" for linked server "IndexServer". RRS feed

• Question

• We get the above error if more than approx 100 hits.

We are running SQL-Server 2005 with a linked server to file index located at another Windows 2003 server.

Have searched the internet and find a lot with similar errors, but no solutions.

Any help is appreciated!

Monday, April 12, 2010 9:16 AM

Answers

• Hello Sven,

Welcome to ADO.NET Data Providers forum!

Could you please tell us is your SQL Server 2005 a 64bit version running on x64 version Windows Server 2003?  If so, it can be a known issue of the OLE DB provider on 64bit platform.   Please try to use a 32bit SQL Server 2005 instead. 

Besides, the product team has a private fix for this issue.   If you want it, please open a CSS case to ask for the hotfix.   The hotfix’s KB id is 940061.  

If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Lingzhi Sun

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 3:19 AM
  • We have found the cause and solution. Sql server and File server must have the same bit count ... 32/32 works fine and 64/64 works fine, but any 32/64 combination does not work. Took a very long time to figure out ... hope it helps anyone...

• Marked as answer by Sven Andersen Sunday, August 8, 2010 12:45 PM
    Sunday, August 8, 2010 12:45 PM

All replies

• Hello Sven,

Welcome to ADO.NET Data Providers forum!

Could you please tell us is your SQL Server 2005 a 64bit version running on x64 version Windows Server 2003?  If so, it can be a known issue of the OLE DB provider on 64bit platform.   Please try to use a 32bit SQL Server 2005 instead. 

Besides, the product team has a private fix for this issue.   If you want it, please open a CSS case to ask for the hotfix.   The hotfix’s KB id is 940061.  

If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Lingzhi Sun

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 3:19 AM
  • Hi Sven,

I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side. Would you mind letting me know the result of the suggestions? 

If you need further assistance, please feel free to let me know.  I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Have a nice weekend!

Best Regards,
    Lingzhi Sun

MSDN Subscriber Supportin Forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contactmsdnmg@microsoft.com

Friday, April 16, 2010 1:30 AM
  • Does this hotfix KB 940061  also apply to those running SQL Server 2008 SP1 on a Windows 2008 R2 64 bit Server and trying to query a linked Index Server catalog on a Windows 2008 standard 32 bit Server SP2 ?  Which Server to apply the fix?

Here is description of my issue...

I keep getting this error when trying to query a Linked Index Server running on Windows 2008 Standard 32 bit SP2 from a Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit server running SQL Server 2008 (using MSIDXS linked server provider) .

OLE DB provider "MSIDXS" for linked server "Files" returned message "Row handle is invalid.".
    Msg 7330, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
    Cannot fetch a row from OLE DB provider "MSIDXS" for linked server "Files"

The query works perfectly when I run it from my local XP 32 bit SP3 box but not on the 64 bit Server 2008 R2 box.  Also, I can get it to work on the Server 2008 R2 if I do Select top ## but only up to top 19; then it breaks with the error.  In addition, if I take the VPath out of the query then I am able to get one more row using select top 20 but it breaks again at select top 21.  Here is my query...

SELECT top 19 FileName
    FROM OPENQUERY(Files,'Select DocTitle, FileName, Size, Characterization, VPath, Write FROM Server.Cat_Name..SCOPE(''s

hallow traversal of "D:\Webs\Portals\0\"'') where FREETEXT(Contents, ''CA'')')

Any help appreciated in advance.
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 4:48 PM
  • Have tried SQL-Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008, all the newest stuff from Microsoft with the latest updates and still the same old bug ...and still no solution... :--(
    Friday, July 16, 2010 7:15 AM
  • Have tried SQL-Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008, all the newest stuff from Microsoft with the latest updates and still the same old bug ...and still no solution... :--(

Friday, July 16, 2010 7:16 AM
  • We have found the cause and solution. Sql server and File server must have the same bit count ... 32/32 works fine and 64/64 works fine, but any 32/64 combination does not work. Took a very long time to figure out ... hope it helps anyone...

• Marked as answer by Sven Andersen Sunday, August 8, 2010 12:45 PM
    Sunday, August 8, 2010 12:45 PM