none
Outlook Contact Form RRS feed

• Question

• Outlook 2007

Needing some custom contact fields,  I managed to design a form using the built-in forms designer. I wasn't able to use the new template style, but it works fairly well. However, I can't seem to get one thing to work.

For contacts I have the usual notes field. But I need another field for personal info that won't get synchronized over to my iPhone.

I call this field "Personal Info". I tried using another notes field, but Outlook won't allow two note fields in a Contact form. So I tried a user defined field, but it won't allow multi-line operation -- only a single line with no carriage returns. I need a field that will allow me to have multiple lines and not sync to my iPhone.

Please help.
    Sunday, February 24, 2013 3:28 PM

Answers

• Only 1 Notes field in a form.

Use a textbox and set it to multiline. Right-click on the textbox control and select Advanced Properties. The multiline setting is there. Don't forget to bind your field to a user property or the values will be lost when the item is closed.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
    "DigitalDawn" <=?utf-8?B?RGlnaXRhbERhd24=?=> wrote in message news:a5c99fc9-4088-44c1-a700-9c56e7b36665...
    Outlook 2007

Needing some custom contact fields,  I managed to design a form using the built-in forms designer. I wasn't able to use the new template style, but it works fairly well. However, I can't seem to get one thing to work.

For contacts I have the usual notes field. But I need another field for personal info that won't get synchronized over to my iPhone.

I call this field "Personal Info". I tried using another notes field, but Outlook won't allow two note fields in a Contact form. So I tried a user defined field, but it won't allow multi-line operation -- only a single line with no carriage returns. I need a field that will allow me to have multiple lines and not sync to my iPhone.

Please help.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Monday, February 25, 2013 7:15 PM

All replies

• Only 1 Notes field in a form.

Use a textbox and set it to multiline. Right-click on the textbox control and select Advanced Properties. The multiline setting is there. Don't forget to bind your field to a user property or the values will be lost when the item is closed.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
    "DigitalDawn" <=?utf-8?B?RGlnaXRhbERhd24=?=> wrote in message news:a5c99fc9-4088-44c1-a700-9c56e7b36665...
    Outlook 2007

Please help.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Monday, February 25, 2013 7:15 PM
  • Ken,

Thank you so much.

I must have left this message on half a dozen different forums. You are the only one who had the answer!!

Dawn

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:44 PM
  • Is there a way to use the new text box and it will take in hyperlinks.....as the note field is the only one I know that you can put hyperlinks in....

And secondly, I found a way to create a sticky note but can't find the way to not just have a link to it, but have it shows up as a text box in the contacts......and put hyperlinks in it...

Thanks much...

Friday, August 2, 2013 1:22 AM
  • Please don't hijack existing closed threads, start your own new thread.

There are no built-in controls for Outlook forms in the Forms 2.0 library that handle hyperlinks without you doing a lot of programming. For example you can underline any text in a textbox or label control and handle the click event on the control to open a browser instance using the text in the control as the URL. But it's all on your shoulders.

There may be other controls, from MS or third parties, that handle hyperlinks without any manipulation on your part but you'd have to find and have access to them and deploy them if needed, and you'd have to find out if the control works in an Outlook form. Many controls do not work correctly in that context.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Friday, August 2, 2013 1:55 PM
  • Thanks very much....can you quickly explain to me where is the click event on the control?   I have a text box....can type in the urls and just underline them and use the click event situation....thanks very much again...
    Friday, August 2, 2013 5:42 PM
  • You really should review the information on forms at www.outlookcode.com so you understand the basics of custom forms.

See http://www.outlookcode.com/article.aspx?id=32 for information on using controls on custom forms.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Friday, August 2, 2013 7:47 PM