Deploy in a laptop as server environment? RRS feed

• Question

• User-2122896793 posted

Hi people,

I heard from ex-java developer saying they can deploy a java web app on a laptop that functioned as a server. So user can login the app like within a network(intranet) or open internet, and test their app. And the developer can keep on developing on the same laptop; but not on the live deployed version of course.

Personally, I think this is cheap, kinna silly, and a waste of time as this is a small app as it is. The laptop I was given is new and just about one of the fastest one there is now but its slow enough for some reason. Pains me to wonder how it would work while someone is login in my laptop while I try to develop. None of my previous position require me to do this. All of them have a real server for testing. But they pays me, so I need your help. If it slows down development, they'll just have to pay me for the extra time.

And to mentioned the server is here but it will take a couple of weeks before we or someone can set it up. Anyway, my app is written in asp.net 4.0. I worked with iis briefly but couldn't figure how to deploy on a local laptop.

Might help to note that I use win xp on the laptop.
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 1:25 PM

Answers

• User-718146471 posted

Well, one thing right off you are going to run into is XP web server has a maximum limit of 10 concurrent user connections. However, there is a free product called Cassini that will give you a fully functional asp.net 4 web server. www.ultidev.com They even have a SDK that will let you deploy the portable web server with your application.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 3:44 PM

All replies

• User-718146471 posted

Well, one thing right off you are going to run into is XP web server has a maximum limit of 10 concurrent user connections. However, there is a free product called Cassini that will give you a fully functional asp.net 4 web server. www.ultidev.com They even have a SDK that will let you deploy the portable web server with your application.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 3:44 PM
  • User-2122896793 posted

Hi bbcompent1,

Thanks for your response.

Didn't know about XP's 10 concurrent limit. I don't expect more than 2-3 users anyway. Not sure if I actually have the time to do it now as we have a demo to present and by then we'll have the server set up-hopefully. Is there a steep learning curve on this open source software? Is there other option beside using third-parties software?

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 5:53 PM
  • User-718146471 posted

Well, the auto-setup one is so easy to use it can have you up and running in about 10 minutes. Worst case if you don't like it then go back to XP's web server.

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 6:47 PM