Did anyone manage to create a generalised VHD and create a VM from it on TP2? RRS feed

• Question

• Just as the discussion topic says, I'm trying to find out if it's even supported on TP2.

The only time I was able to create a VM using provided VHD was when I reuploaded the included Win Server 2012 R2 VHD (unchanged) and CentOS 7.2 Linux (also unchanged).

But when I tried to copy the included Win Server 2012 R2 VHD, use Hyper-V Manager to add a single sample file to the VHD disk or install an application and then to generalise the image, sysprep, reupload to a storage account and then create a VM out of it using a PowerShell script that ends with New-AzureRmVM, I get "VM failed to provision with timeout." error.

I've used the included Win Server 2012 R2 VHD because I guess that it's the most compatible VHD that we can get right now, and it don't even work when it's modified a bit?

Help me understand this, please.

EDIT: It turned out that when I didn't do all the steps that are required and instead I ONLY did sysprep then the VM created without a problem. So right now I don't even know what the problem is - it may be making the disk image size fixed but it can also be any of the other steps that are ruining the provisioning of a VM.

Thursday, February 23, 2017 8:04 AM

Answers

All replies