WP 8.1 Dev Preview Release RRS feed

• Question

• Ok so I have updated my PC with the new tools for developing apps for WP 8.1. Great stuff. Only one "HUGE" problem. Where on earth is the update for the phone??? Why have you released the SDK updates and not yet the dev release for 8.1? I have prepared my 8.1 application and cannot test it because I do not have where to test it! The emulator is not an option for my app to test it's full functionality.

I do not see the logic behind releasing the SDK but not the OS update for devs! We have to test our new apps on a real phone you know...not only on an emulator.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 10:21 AM

All replies

• From http://blogs.windows.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2014/04/02/cortana-yes-and-many-many-other-great-features-coming-in-windows-phone-8-1.aspx

If you want to try out Windows Phone 8.1 and you are a registered developer, you can update your phone as part of the Developer Preview Program in the first part of April.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 5:00 PM
  • I was talking about somethig else. MS released the sdk update for 8.1 before the phone update making impossible to test apps
    Wednesday, April 9, 2014 7:18 PM
  • You can use the SDK now to get started on your development and test with the emulators. For most apps this will be very useful. If you need to test features on a physical device then that will be available soon with the Developer Preview Program and you will not need to wait for the update to be available broadly to consumers.

It is unfortunate that they weren't ready at the same time, but we wanted to get the SDK out to developers as soon as possible.

--Rob

Thursday, April 10, 2014 6:54 PM
  • The update for the phone is now available
    Monday, April 14, 2014 10:45 PM