Web Deployment Project - No Mixed Platforms Choice RRS feed

• Question

• User-1950883656 posted

Hello All,

I was hoping someone could help me with this.  I created a web application and I want to deploy it to the application server.  I added a web deployment project and built the project.  I copied the files over to the server, created a virtual directory, etc. and when I access the web app I get to the login page and after I try to login in, I get a null reference exception.  This happens because I run the sql commands in a class I created that resides in the App_Code folder.  I noticed the the build creates an App_Code.compiled file but no App_Code.dll.  Also I have compared my web deployment project with others that are setup and run as expected and I see that the other projects have an option in the configuration manager/active solution platform called mixed platforms.  I don't have .NET as a choice either.  I'm not sure why I don't have these options but it appears that they are necessary.  I need to know how I can get these as an option or even if they are essential to a proper deploy.

Hope someone can help.  Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 10:18 AM

Answers

• User372121194 posted

Hi,

The App_Code is designed for website project. If you add class to App_Code folder in your ASP.NET web application, this class is treated as "Content" instead of "Compile" by default.

In your case, you try to rename this App_Code folder or create a Class library to compile this class to dll and then add reference to it.

If this doesn’t help you, please feel free to let me know.

I hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, July 4, 2008 7:55 AM

All replies

• User-1315512054 posted

Hello,

What are you trying exactly to do?

You could just copy all the project files into the virtual directory.

Regards

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 11:08 AM
  • User-1950883656 posted
    I’m just trying to deploy the web app to the server and it work.  I think I tried that already and I got an error saying App_Code folder not aloud or something like that but I’ll try again right now.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 1:40 PM
  • User-1950883656 posted
    That didn’t work for me.  I’m still getting a null reference exception when my app tries to access one of my classes.  In the stack track the app is trying to find the class at my local path and obviously it is never going to find it.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 1:41 PM
  • User372121194 posted

Hi,

The App_Code is designed for website project. If you add class to App_Code folder in your ASP.NET web application, this class is treated as "Content" instead of "Compile" by default.

In your case, you try to rename this App_Code folder or create a Class library to compile this class to dll and then add reference to it.

If this doesn’t help you, please feel free to let me know.

I hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, July 4, 2008 7:55 AM