none
How to host two different development biztalk environments database on one instance of sql

Question

• Hello Guys,

Is there a way to host two different development biztalk environments databases on one instance of sql. So that both environments are independent.

Regards,

Hassam

Sunday, May 21, 2017 12:42 PM

All replies

• Add an extra SQL server instance, easier to maintain in the long run

If you insist just rename the databases when configuring BizTalk, IIRC it should be possible
    All the needed SQL Jobs for BizTalk will be a mess to maintain though

rgds/Peter

Sunday, May 21, 2017 2:20 PM
  • The answer to the specific question is NO.

First, let me say first, this not the best way to provision dev environments.

The best and easiest thing to do is install SQL Server locally with BizTalk Server.

If you absolutely have to share a SQL Server computer, what you need to do is create separate Named Instances of SQL Server for each dev kit.

Sunday, May 21, 2017 10:34 PM
  • Best Practices here would be to have one sql server for one Biztalk Environment. I have worked on environment where multiple BizTalk Environments had same SQL server(different instances as well as same instance) the performance of BizTalk in that case is not what it is supposed to deliver, so my suggestion would be to keep one SQL server per environment and not to superimpose two environments in one.

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Sunday, May 21, 2017 11:50 PM
  • I haven't experienced problems with our dev and test systems which are running on the same SQL server (two instances)
    But the SQL server is a bit messy imo, I'd prefer a more clean approach, eg dev is standalone and test as a two server setup

If you are on BTS 2016 it just requires a few mouseclicks (and an account) to create a standalone dev system on Azure

rgds /Peter

Monday, May 22, 2017 6:21 AM
  • Hi Hassam

If you absolutely cannot provision two different SQL Server machines, you should consider two different SQL Server instances as suggested. Renaming the database names during configuration can get a bit messy in the long run.

Thanks Arindam

Monday, May 22, 2017 9:54 PM