silent install installation instructions

Question

• I was wondering how to silent install the kinect runtime installer without any gui pop-ups? Also, if theirs a command line switch to show output then please can someone showme?

Mostly I would think it would be better if silent install instructions are posted for kinect into the help file or on the kinect website because at my work if I do a network install their has to be no dialog boxes pop-up whatsoever asking the user to do anything because they might click out of it and not be able to use the kinect program.

I've done this with the smartboard software over our network before.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:31 PM

Answers

• we do not support silent installs due to the EULA requirement.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 6:19 PM
  • While technically feasible, it is still *NOT Supported*. There have been no changes to the EULA to support such a solution. There are caveats and terms in the EULA that require the end-user to agree to. If you have a particular scenario and requirement, please have your Microsoft account manager contact the Kinect for Windows team to discuss the specifics for silent install.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:17 PM
    Owner

All replies

• we do not support silent installs due to the EULA requirement.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 6:19 PM
  • When will it be put on the back log because i can already do this with other software like smartboard why not the kinect? I dont want to have my teachers accept the eula for the simple fact that I cannot do a manual install for all teachers and network install is better and the teachers computers are significantly different from student/lab computers in software installs in that they just plain act dumb and tear up their computer in the process of trying to install software. The teacher needs to control the kinect not the student thats why I need a silent install.

One question if not todd will silent installs be available in the near future? This is the biggest feature besides built-in gesture recogition, using the templates from kinectcontrib.codeplex.com as kinect templates because of their simplisitic nature and ability to get higher frame rates because they dont do anything besides what the name says it does on template, and  a bug with kinect not responding after 30 minutes on some computers or the skeleton/depth stream stops.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

• Edited by The Thinker Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:05 PM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:04 PM
  • I have would like this too for the same reason :)

Thursday, September 06, 2012 2:10 PM
  • I have an idea how about for runtime us admins can accept the eula and install the runtime without user intervention for the kinect?  Then the rest requires user intervention. That would work would it not?

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://www.computerprofessions.co.nr

Thursday, September 06, 2012 3:42 PM
  • Hi, we have the same problem, and in the near future, we might need a silent installer too!

In our case, we're providing the hardware for our clients, whom will not be able to access the operating system at all.

We would like to be able to update several machines automatically and silently (again, EULA acceptance is not required by the clients, because the clients do not own the hardware).

The problem we face right now is that, if the runtime requires a manual install, it would force us to physically visit each client's place, and do the manual update ourselves, which can be very expensive for us.

In the long run, for our business model we *do* need a silent runtime installer.

Monday, October 15, 2012 8:04 AM
  • I agree silent installs are necessary. I have not checked up on this in awhile has this changed with the new sdks yet?

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://www.computerprofessions.co.nr

Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:19 PM
  • I wanted to update this thread, as the "answer" listed above seems to no longer be the case.  We at the University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire just recieved the following message from Patrick Sheren (Microsoft Education Account Technology Strategist) stating that we are allowed to silently install the SDK, and that we can do so from SCCM.  Here is the exact message:

"Please let your SCCM folks know that they can utilize the software distribution tools to install the Kinect SDK on the University owned PC’s.    That part of the EULA is really meant to cover folks from including the SDK with their applications they may develop for Kinect.     Please feel to utilized SCCM for the distribution and installation at the University.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thank you,

Patrick Sheren

Microsoft Education Account Technology Strategist"

Now, weather it is technically possible we will find out soon as we tried to create a silent install pack.

• Edited by Tom__P Wednesday, September 11, 2013 1:25 PM grammar
    • Proposed as answer by Nathan Carr Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:24 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Nathan Carr Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:25 PM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 1:24 PM
  • I could not find any silent switches in the Microsoft Kinect SDK 1.7 installation .exe. However, I did find a way to silently install it.

Before you begin you will need to download the Wix toolset (This along with the burn bootstrapper) were used to compile the installation exe. You can find the Wix toolset here: http://wixtoolset.org/

A. The first step I did was retrieve the Windows Installer XML manifest file.

1. Extract the Microsoft Kinect SDK 1.7 Installation using 7zip or Winrar.

2. The first file in the extracted folder is named "0" and that is the manifest file.

Note: You can open it in Notepad++ and auto-format the XML using the XML tools plugin.

B. The next step I did was decompile the installation exe using the Wix toolset.

1. Use the dark.exe tool that came with Wix to decompile the exe. The command is:

dark.exe path-to-installation.exe -x path-to-folder

2. Navigate to the folder you extracted to and you will find two folders. Enter the folder called "AttachedContainer" and you will find all the msi's needed to install the SDK.

C. When creating your silent install package you need to install the msi's in order. You can find the order in the manifest file that you grabbed earlier.

Here is the silent installation file I created (Minus the file clean-up of course):

msiexec /i "%~dp0vcredist_x64.msi" /qn /norestart

msiexec /i "%~dp0KinectDrivers-v1.7-x64.WHQL.msi" /qn /norestart

msiexec /i "%~dp0KinectRuntime-v1.7-x64.msi" /qn /norestart

msiexec /i "%~dp0KinectSDK-v1.7-x64.msi" /qn /norestart

msiexec /i "%~dp0SpeechPlatformRuntime_x64.msi" /qn /norestart

msiexec /i "%~dp0MSKinectLangPack_enUS.msi" /qn /norestart

And the Uninstall Script:

MsiExec.exe /X{7DC40FDF-C442-4E5A-AD50-1AAFDCA9DC37}

MsiExec.exe /X{B21057EB-E950-43A3-9196-4A59C9867B6C}

MsiExec.exe /X{3B433087-E62E-4BF5-97F9-4AF6E1C2409C}

If you follow those steps you shouldn’t have any problems!!

University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire - Student Administrator

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:27 PM
  • While technically feasible, it is still *NOT Supported*. There have been no changes to the EULA to support such a solution. There are caveats and terms in the EULA that require the end-user to agree to. If you have a particular scenario and requirement, please have your Microsoft account manager contact the Kinect for Windows team to discuss the specifics for silent install.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:17 PM
    Owner