none
Speak Outlook VBA RRS feed

• Question

• I found some code to use in an EXCEL VBA that I was running, and was wondering if there was similar code for Outlook.

The Excel VBA Code speaks as the code is being executed.  I found this useful as I'm testing to see what phase of the code it is at.

Application.Speech.Speak "Window Maximized."

I searched the internet, but didn't find anything similar to this.

Any ideas?

JMDATA Consultant

Thursday, August 22, 2013 9:08 PM

Answers

• Hi JMData,

I have tried more to find such a function in outlook and it works well. Please do some steps as below shows and it would meet your requirement.

1. Add the reference ‘Microsoft.Excel 15.0 Object Library’ into your outlook VBE;

2. Run this code:  Excel.Application.Speech.Speak "Hello"

As for more details, please refer to the below screenshot:

Sophia Gou <THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED> MSDN Community Support Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.

Monday, August 26, 2013 9:55 AM

All replies

• Hi JMData,

Welcome to the MSDN forum!

According to your description, my understanding is that you have interested in the ‘speech technology’ on Outlook.

Those are articles about speech SDK, I think you would get useful information there.

1. This is the ‘Speech SDK 5.1’- which adds Automation support to the features of the previous version of the Speech SDK and you can consider downloading it here

Speech SDK 5.1

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10121

2. This is some blogs from MSDN which would help you know more information about the speech technologies

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/speech/

3. There are some SDK Samples for Automation with VB,JS and C#, please have a look:

SDK Samples for Automation

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms720153(v=vs.85).aspx

4. If you have feedback on the Microsoft Speech API (SAPI) or other Microsoft Speech-related questions, please refer to the below article:

Developer Support (SAPI 5.4)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee431825(v=VS.85).aspx

Hope it can help you!

Sophia Gou <THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED> MSDN Community Support Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.

Friday, August 23, 2013 10:48 AM
  • Hi Sophia,

Thanks for the reply.  I may be totally off here, but I believe the Speech SDK is more of a speech recognition program.

What I'm looking for is to put a comment in my VBA code that when execute, the computer would read out so that the user knows what is going on, and at what phase of the code is being executed.

For example, "Now Starting Macro 1". "Macro 1 has been completed." "Program will now be closed." etc...

I tried installing Speech SDK 5.1, and I'm not certain if it installed correctly or not. Shouldn't I be seeing a program group under the Start - Programs menu?

Thanks for the help.

JMData Consultant

Friday, August 23, 2013 1:30 PM
  • Hi JMData,

I have tried more to find such a function in outlook and it works well. Please do some steps as below shows and it would meet your requirement.

1. Add the reference ‘Microsoft.Excel 15.0 Object Library’ into your outlook VBE;

2. Run this code:  Excel.Application.Speech.Speak "Hello"

As for more details, please refer to the below screenshot:

Monday, August 26, 2013 9:55 AM
  • Sophia,

Thank you so much for your assistance. That worked.  I only found Microsoft.Excel 14.0 Object Library in the listing.

JMData Consultant

Monday, August 26, 2013 6:16 PM