Issue with Web Performance Test RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I am posting this in multiple forums as I need the solution ASAP.

I recorded simple login script for my web application that was built on Silver light 4.0 . I am using VSTS 2010 web performance test and it failed while I running the script, the step showing the result as ‘Passed’ but displayed below error when I select the request .

"An Add - on for this web site failed to run. Check the security settings in Internet options for potential conflicts”

The recorded login page was not displayed.

It also displayed “Silver light image and “Click now to install “

I have already installed Silver light in my PC along with feature pack 2 .  I am using I.E. 8.0 browser on Window 7 O/S . 

Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITest.Extension.SilverlightUIAutomationHelper.dll is installed in Silver light project (not in the test project) . Also we have added unique property in each of the Silver light control

The same issue also posted in ED’s blog but no solution has been given.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/edglas/archive/2010/03/24/web-test-authoring-and-debugging-techniques-for-visual-studio-2010.aspx

Is it a known issue for the VSTS 2010? Can anybody explain me step by step why I was getting above issue?  

Thursday, July 7, 2011 2:54 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the screen grabs.  Looks like your login and authentication is part of your silverlight app vs authenticating with another page, then navigating to the page with the silverlight plugin.  What you are seeing in the playback window is expected.
    Tim
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 6:53 PM
  • Hello Srini,

Thanks for your response.

Coded UI tests are mainly used to provide functional testing of the user interface and validation of user interface controls. One important feature of the Coded UI tests is that they can record user actions, for example mouse move and cursor movement and so on.

So you can choose to use Coded UI test based on your own requirement.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 7:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Guys,

I am posting this in multiple forums as I need the solution ASAP.

I recorded simple login script for my web application that was built on Silver light 4.0 . I am using VSTS 2010 web performance test and it failed while I running the script, the step showing the result as ‘Passed’ but displayed below error when I select the request .

"An Add - on for this web site failed to run. Check the security settings in Internet options for potential conflicts”

The recorded login page was not displayed.

It also displayed “Silver light image and “Click now to install “

I have already installed Silver light in my PC along with feature pack 2 .  I am using I.E. 8.0 browser on Window 7 O/S . 

Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITest.Extension.SilverlightUIAutomationHelper.dll is installed in Silver light project (not in the test project) . Also we have added unique property in each of the Silver light control

The same issue also posted in ED’s blog but no solution has been given.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/edglas/archive/2010/03/24/web-test-authoring-and-debugging-techniques-for-visual-studio-2010.aspx

Is it a known issue for the VSTS 2010? Can anybody explain me step by step why I was getting above issue?  

Thursday, July 7, 2011 2:54 PM
  • Hi Srini,

You are saying the test passed but when you look at the playback window the silverlight plugin is not displayed correct?

If so this is expected behavior, the playback window will not load any activeX controls or plugins.  What is rendered in the playback window is only meant for guidance and it is not an exact rendering like you would see in IE but thatdoesn't mean the test actually failed.  What you will have to keep in mind is that your test will capture the traffic between the client and server.  In the case of a silverlight app (or an adobe PDF, flash package...) you will see the binary file ( xap file in the case of silverlight) is sent to the client but you are limited in what you can test.  For example you will not be able to validate any of the controls within the silverlight plugin.

From the blog you mentioned you fall into the category of "Web Tests Can Succeed Even Though It Appears They Failed".  I believe your test is passing but only appears to fail.

Tim
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 4:07 PM
    • Proposed as answer by TimJim Thursday, July 7, 2011 6:54 PM
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 4:08 PM
  • Srini,

you won't see the silverlight screens but you should see the login screens.  If you still have my email address send me a screen grab of what you are seeing for the login and the silverlight screen in the playback window.

I will be speaking at the MN visual studio user group on coded UI testing October 19th.  If you can make it maybe I can change your mind about coded UI testing.

Tim
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 4:46 PM
  • Tim - Thank you for response.

The Play Back window doesn't contain any Login requests. Also when I selected the 'Web Browser' tab , it is not displaying any screens that were captured during recording . It used to display all the screens in VS 2008.

Are we no longer displaying any screens in VS 2010 for web performance tests? or you mean to say for the Silver light , can't we see the screens that were captured as we did in VS 2008 .

I know Web performance tests are designed for load & performance testing, Coded UI tests are for Functionality testing but I don't see any worth in Coded UI tests for Functionality and regression testing point of View . I feel Coded UI tests are only enhancements to Unit testing and not much useful for QA team , as terminology like assertions points are very difficult for the QA team , We got used to 'Check Points' or 'Validation points' in QA world . I don't understand why Microsoft team has not taken this into consideration when they design the new tool. So , I want use Web Performance tests for my regression testing and want to make use of new functionality that has been added like (for loop etc ) . but at the same time , I also want to see the Screen captured after playing back the scripts .

Thursday, July 7, 2011 4:47 PM
  • October 19'th is too late . We also need Web Performance Test seminar also . I see now a days most of the corporations are using this tool for Test Automation and it would be helpful to the QA community.  I will send the screen shots to your email address

Thursday, July 7, 2011 5:23 PM
  • Thanks for the screen grabs.  Looks like your login and authentication is part of your silverlight app vs authenticating with another page, then navigating to the page with the silverlight plugin.  What you are seeing in the playback window is expected.
    Tim
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 6:53 PM
  • Hello SriniWebTest,

What about your issue now? Have you resolved it? And does Tim's suggestion help you?

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, July 11, 2011 9:45 AM
  • As Tim suggested above scenario as expected, I am planning to use only Coded UI Test for my functionality and regressing testing as there is no other option .

My comments: Even when we use Web performance tests for load testing, still we need screens captured in Web Browser tab in the play back script. In that we can navigate the flow and can debug easily. This is what we have done when we used in 2008 version .

Coded UI Test are designed wrt to development point view only and these are just extension to Unit tests. These Coded UI cannot be useful for regression and functionally testing. I am a big fan of Microsoft and has been using these tools from the version 2005. Microsoft should take input from QA folks before designing the test tool and there should be lot of improvement needed in regression/ functionality testing point of view. I don't think these Coded UI tests are much useful other than just adding simple assertion points and most of the testers doesn't know what an assertion point is . Because we were used to terminology like 'Check point' and 'validation points' etc , also you should need advanced c# skills if you want to enhance your script .

From manual testing point of I see there were drastic improvements in MTM 2010 & TFS Reports. and helping a lot in Agile projects.

Srini

Monday, July 11, 2011 6:05 PM
  • Hello Srini,

Thanks for your response.

Coded UI tests are mainly used to provide functional testing of the user interface and validation of user interface controls. One important feature of the Coded UI tests is that they can record user actions, for example mouse move and cursor movement and so on.

So you can choose to use Coded UI test based on your own requirement.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]

Thursday, July 14, 2011 7:13 AM
  • Thanks Vicky ,

I appreciate your response .

Thursday, July 14, 2011 1:58 PM
  • Vicky - 

As Per Tim's response if the applications are developed using Silver Light, it won't capture  Login credentials in the Response

If Web Performance Tests are not designed for Functional & Validation testing, why 'Add Validation' & 'Extraction rule' still exists in Web Performance tests?  In Load Testing, we won't validate any data.  

I prefer Web Performance Tests over Coded UI Tests because the Web Performance Tests are much easier comparatively.  If anybody used Web Tests in 2008 for regression testing without Silver Light applications will definitely get into this problem that I am facing. 

Thanks,

Srini

Monday, August 15, 2011 6:55 PM
  • Hi,

I have got an alternative solution for Load / web performance testing Silverlight 4 application calling WCF binary services, even through STS https login process :

It`s Fiddler2 + StresStimulus add-on.

It gives basic results {don`t expect a report as rich as VS 2010}, but at least it works 1st time with nearly no configuration. It also gives few indicators, including TTFB:

memoprojects.blogspot.com/.../alleluia-load-test-tool-for-silverlight.html

Vincent THAVONEKHAM

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 9:49 PM