Session Mangement for a loadbalanced environment RRS feed

• Question

• User-868850614 posted

Hi ,

I have a asp.net  website hosted on loadbalanced environment.I am currently using the inproc mode for session management . Because of which I cannot do production deployments without downtime .Can anyone suggest me the best way to manage sessions for a loadbalanced environment so that deployments can be done without any downtime?

Thanks

Sunday, October 7, 2012 7:08 PM

Answers

• User1779161005 posted

Sounds like you have implemented a design that doesn't really support your requirements. Don't use Session and use a database instead:

http://brockallen.com/2012/04/07/think-twice-about-using-session-state/

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, October 8, 2012 7:59 AM
  • User1779161005 posted

I have been reading about managing sessions in SQL SERVER which seems to be the best approach but how about the performance ?

Did you read my post?

Also are there any ways to handle the sessions at load balancer level?

I suppose that's possible but I don't know of any products or frameworks that do that.

how do the high volume websites normally handle sessions,

They don't use session state.

Monday, October 8, 2012 6:19 PM

All replies

• User1779161005 posted

Sounds like you have implemented a design that doesn't really support your requirements. Don't use Session and use a database instead:

http://brockallen.com/2012/04/07/think-twice-about-using-session-state/

Monday, October 8, 2012 7:59 AM
  • User-868850614 posted

Thank You. I have been reading about managing sessions in SQL SERVER which seems to be the best approach but how about the performance ? Also are there any ways to handle the sessions at load balancer level? how do the high volume websites normally handle sessions,Just wondering if there were any other tools other than State Server and Sql Server?

Monday, October 8, 2012 6:16 PM
  • User1779161005 posted

I have been reading about managing sessions in SQL SERVER which seems to be the best approach but how about the performance ?

Did you read my post?

Also are there any ways to handle the sessions at load balancer level?

I suppose that's possible but I don't know of any products or frameworks that do that.

how do the high volume websites normally handle sessions,

They don't use session state.

Monday, October 8, 2012 6:19 PM