Responding to reviews RRS feed

• Question

• In general reviews point out bugs.
    It would be really great to be able to respond to a review.
    Maybe just a button for "Developer is interested please contact developer" or "Thanks for feedback" or "Bug is fixed now"

Saturday, September 22, 2012 2:53 PM

Answers

• It would still be useful to be able to respond somehow. I have a depth of field calculator that received a review questioning the accuracy of it in comparison to another prominent JavaScript based solution on the web, which I know for a fact isn't accurate itself. Right now, the only way to respond is to put something into the app description and push it through yet another certification cycle.

If not visible replies to reviews, at least give us the option to contact the reviewer via email, like Windows Phone allows. This would give us developers the chance to clarify some issues and hopefully get bad or ambivalent reviews fixed.

Friday, September 28, 2012 12:18 PM

All replies

• I totally agree

Paul Lambadaris SingularLogic SA

Saturday, September 22, 2012 7:50 PM
  • While I realize why this isn't supported in most app stores in order to avoid heated discussions between developers disagreeing with a negative review, I still think this would be overall a nice feature.

weichhold.com

Monday, September 24, 2012 10:07 AM
  • Hi Cobra Tap,

One way of getting your message to your reviewers, would be to pot your own Review. You can then thank people for their feedback, and also make announcements such as Big is Fixed, or Please wait for the next Release which is coming soon.

Thanks

Monday, September 24, 2012 3:42 PM
  • One way of getting your message to your reviewers, would be to pot your own Review. You can then thank people for their feedback, and also make announcements such as Big is Fixed, or Please wait for the next Release which is coming soon.

Nope. That doesn't work in most cases. Your message will only apear in your market.

That way you can't respond to messages in all the other 100+ markets.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 10:45 AM
  • Reviews can be a minefield. Its a bit like ebay feedback, open to abuse.

If I have a competitor with an app I can buy a copy then seriously slag it off !

n.Wright

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 11:33 PM
  • It would still be useful to be able to respond somehow. I have a depth of field calculator that received a review questioning the accuracy of it in comparison to another prominent JavaScript based solution on the web, which I know for a fact isn't accurate itself. Right now, the only way to respond is to put something into the app description and push it through yet another certification cycle.

If not visible replies to reviews, at least give us the option to contact the reviewer via email, like Windows Phone allows. This would give us developers the chance to clarify some issues and hopefully get bad or ambivalent reviews fixed.

Friday, September 28, 2012 12:18 PM
  • Tom Servo wins!
    "If not visible replies to reviews, at least give us the option to contact the reviewer via email"

This is the best suggestion. Then we can help them. 
    They don't have to come back to the reviews to change their review if they disagree. They can change their review/rating if you have helped them or if the new update has fixed their problem. They can ignore the email. Only problem is if a developer fills up their inbox but I'm sure Microsoft can detect that and ban the developer.

Monday, October 1, 2012 2:45 PM
  • I would upvote that feature request if this forum software would allow me.

It would be helpful to at least contact the reviewer. If that ends up in a heated debate then the reviewer is free to publish the conversation at any time.

Please MSFT consider to allow publishers to answer reviews in some way.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 10:31 AM
  • Hey Everyone,

Thank you for the feedback everyone. I marked Tom's post, and have been able to get this information to those teams who make these calls. My post is to affirm that we are here to best serve you, the developers, and feedback like this makes everyone's job a bit better.

For any announcements regarding changes or implementation of new features, they will be announced on the Windows App Builder Blog

- Robert

Thursday, September 5, 2013 4:57 PM
  • It would be nice to answer to a review especially if you have fixed a bug.

Sadly once you get a bad review the damage is already done.

n.Wright

Friday, September 6, 2013 1:51 AM
  • Hey Everyone,

Thank you for the feedback everyone. I marked Tom's post, and have been able to get this information to those teams who make these calls. My post is to affirm that we are here to best serve you, the developers, and feedback like this makes everyone's job a bit better.

For any announcements regarding changes or implementation of new features, they will be announced on the Windows App Builder Blog

- Robert

This is a pretty key requirement.  We get one star reviews because people don't understand how to use Windows 8.  E.g.  "You cannot print in this app, 1 star". 

We could ignore the Windows design guidelines as Microsoft themselves have started doing in Windows 8.1 and include Print buttons and search boxes on the screen so users can find features, but being able to respond to detrimental reviews is really required.

If you let a person comment on an app, please permit the app developers to reply!

Saturday, October 26, 2013 8:39 PM
  • Hey Everyone,

- Robert

This is a pretty key requirement.  We get one star reviews because people don't understand how to use Windows 8.  E.g.  "You cannot print in this app, 1 star". 

We could ignore the Windows design guidelines as Microsoft themselves have started doing in Windows 8.1 and include Print buttons and search boxes on the screen so users can find features, but being able to respond to detrimental reviews is really required.

If you let a person comment on an app, please permit the app developers to reply!

I have similar woes with my app.  The user gave me 1 star because they didn't know how to change the font size which can easily be changed in the settings charm.  Really discouraging.
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 4:10 AM
    • Proposed as answer by TJ Calingasan Wednesday, April 23, 2014 4:59 AM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 4:55 AM
  • See http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2014/2-512

Good to hear Microsoft showing some love to Windows Store App developers.
    • Proposed as answer by TJ Calingasan Wednesday, April 23, 2014 4:59 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by TJ Calingasan Wednesday, April 23, 2014 4:59 AM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 4:58 AM