Logs for node.js web role. RRS feed

• Question

• Starting a node.js web role in the computer emulator, only works fine with the first request and then the emulator gets shut down silently.

If I run the node.js app without Azure, it works perfectly with multiple requests. Where can I find more logs about the error? I found a kind of log in server.js.logs/0.txt, but it only shows the output of console.log().

Trying to restart the web role using Start-AzureEmulator -Launch sometimes results in the following error.

Start-AzureEmulator : An unexpected failure occurred.  Details:
    Encountered an unexpected error Object reference not set to an instance of an object.    at
    Microsoft.ServiceHosting.Tools.DevelopmentFabric.Deployment.<GetExportedInterfacesInformation>d__8.MoveNext()
       at Microsoft.ServiceHosting.Tools.DevelopmentFabric.Deployment.<GetExportedInterfaces>d__0.MoveNext()
       at Microsoft.ServiceHosting.Tools.CloudServiceRun.DoActions.ShowInterfaces(Deployment deployment, Boolean launchBrowser)
       at Microsoft.ServiceHosting.Tools.CloudServiceRun.DoActions.Run(DirectoryInfo dir, FileInfo serviceConfiguration, Boolean
    launchBrowser, Boolean paused, String debugger, Boolean useIISExpress)
       at Microsoft.ServiceHosting.Tools.CloudServiceRun.DoActions.ParseArguments(String[] args, Boolean doActions)
       at Microsoft.ServiceHosting.Tools.CloudServiceRun.DoActions.ExecuteActions(String[] args).
    Unhandled Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Microsoft.ServiceHosting.Tools.DevelopmentFabric.Deployment.<GetExportedInterfacesInformation>d__8.MoveNext()
       at Microsoft.ServiceHosting.Tools.DevelopmentFabric.Deployment.<GetExportedInterfaces>d__0.MoveNext()
       at Microsoft.ServiceHosting.Tools.CloudServiceRun.DoActions.ShowInterfaces(Deployment deployment, Boolean launchBrowser)
       at Microsoft.ServiceHosting.Tools.CloudServiceRun.DoActions.Run(DirectoryInfo dir, FileInfo serviceConfiguration, Boolean
    launchBrowser, Boolean paused, String debugger, Boolean useIISExpress)
       at Microsoft.ServiceHosting.Tools.CloudServiceRun.DoActions.ParseArguments(String[] args, Boolean doActions)
       at Microsoft.ServiceHosting.Tools.CloudServiceRun.DoActions.ExecuteActions(String[] args)
       at Microsoft.ServiceHosting.Tools.CloudServiceRun.Program.Main(String[] args)
    At line:1 char:1
    + Start-AzureEmulator -Launch
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : CloseError: (:) [Start-AzureEmulator], InvalidOperationException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Management.CloudService.Cmdlet.StartAzureEmulatorCommand
    Any idea what could be happening?

Friday, July 6, 2012 9:57 PM

Answers

• Tomasz Janczuk has published a post showing how to debug Node.js apps in Windows Azure. He has also published one showing how to access Node.js logs.

However, this is such a funky looking error that I would be tempted to reinstall Node.js. If that didn't work I would then reinstall the entire Windows Azure SDK and the Node.js environment.

• Marked as answer by Arwind - MSFT Friday, July 13, 2012 9:39 AM
    Saturday, July 7, 2012 7:16 PM
    Answerer