none
template linked to daughter documents RRS feed

• Question

• I created a blank Word 2007 template with several special list styles. After opening several new docxs from the template and styling some text using one of the list styles, I saw that I had not included a paragraph "Justify" function in the style. I would like to simply change the template list style to include the Justify, and have that link forward to each document based on the template the next time the docx opens. Q1. How to set up the template and daughter docs to do this. Q2. Does the template have to reside in a particular folder on either my local hard drive or the server or is entering the path into the Template and Add-ins window, Doc Template/Attach box sufficient? Thanks

Sunday, April 13, 2014 6:52 PM

Answers

• 1. For each document based on the template, you could set its 'Automatically update document styles' property. A Document_Open macro in the template could be used to do that. Do note that this will update all Styles, over-riding any definition changes in the documents concerned. That's OK if you're trying to enforce consistency, but will earn you some opprobrium otherwise. The alternative is to update just the Style concerned. Again, this could be done via a Document_Open macro in the template.

2. The template has to reside in whatever folder is specified in the Template and Add-ins dialogue.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Sunday, April 13, 2014 8:30 PM