Nested AD Security Groups Permissions not applying RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

We have a SharePoint 2013 site and are applying permissions based on Active Directory Groups. When we add a user to a group the user inherits the permission of the group and it all works fine. However if we add another group inside that Active Directory Group, none of the users inside the nested group will inherit the permissions.

E.g.

If we have Group A with user X:

Group A

User X

User X will inherit the permissions

Then if we have Group B with user Y and add Group B to Group A.

Group A

User X

Group B

User Y (inside Group B) will not inherit the permissions.

I've read around that SharePoint cannot handle nested security groups and I just want that confirmed, it seems incredible that SharePoint cannot handle this.

We have granular security on our report which are housed within SharePoint and cannot maintain a list of users inside the reports and inside our main security groups.

Is there any workaround available? I would rather avoid SharePoint groups as only one person can manage the users inside the group and nesting AD groups inside SharePoint groups seems to be more inconsistent.

Thanks,

Will

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 6:34 AM

Answers

• Hiya,

Nested AD groups should work. However deep nested AD groups might be a problem. SharePoint Groups does not support "nesting".

This is for access and security. Don't see many issues with that. Where I do see issues is in the audience functionality.
    Assign permission levels in SharePoint 2013
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc261972%28v=office.15%29.aspx

Determine permission levels and groups in SharePoint 2013
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262690%28v=office.15%29.aspx
    • Edited by Jesper Arnecke Wednesday, April 23, 2014 12:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by star.wars Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:25 AM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 12:25 PM