Blend 3 suddenly becomes unable to edit resources RRS feed

• Question

• Six months into a project, Blend has suddenly become unusable! I typically use Visual Studio for the code bits, and use Blend 3 for the resources. I've been doing this happily for ages. Now, blend is coming to a complete halt every couple of minutes. Maybe I've reached some kind of resources threshold? 

Here's one example of the problem I'm having:

1) in the resources tab, right click a resource, and choose edit.
    2) It's a control template, with a Rectangle that has a gradient fill
    3) click 'advanced property options' next to the fill brush, and choose 'convert to new resource'
    4) Type in a name, choose the same resource dictionary, click ok.

Bang. 'Microsoft Expression Blend has stopped working'. Every time.

Same happens if I hand edit a resource name in the text editor.

I've tried to make a small repro solution, but typically it worked perfectly. Something must have changed in my project to make this suddenly start happening.   

Friday, February 5, 2010 10:03 AM

Answers

• Right, i've got to the bottom of this one. One of my colleagues was using a StaticResourceExtension based loosely on

http://sweux.com/blogs/psampaio/index.php/2009/06/16/using-data-binding-with-static-resources-in-wpf/

This was tucked away in one of many resource dictionaries. This caused Blend to have a major meltdown when editing any resource dictionaries in the project.

Top tip: if blend suddenly stops handling resources in dictionaries, look through your resource dictionaries in Visual Studio and look for any blue squiggle underlines.

• Marked as answer by Peter Chapman Friday, February 5, 2010 5:30 PM
    Friday, February 5, 2010 5:30 PM

All replies

• This problem is now effecting other developers here. One computer is being slightly more helpful. Hand editing a resource key causes a crash, but that computer provided more information:

Description:

Stopped working

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:                        CLR20r3

Problem Signature 01:                       blend.exe

Problem Signature 02:                       3.0.1927.0

Problem Signature 03:                       4a5d4331

Problem Signature 04:                       Microsoft.Expression.DesignModel

Problem Signature 05:                       3.0.1927.0

Problem Signature 06:                       4a5d4276

Problem Signature 07:                       34f

Problem Signature 08:                       0

Problem Signature 09:                       System.NullReferenceException

OS Version:                                          6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.1

Locale ID:                                             2057

Friday, February 5, 2010 1:39 PM
  • Right, i've got to the bottom of this one. One of my colleagues was using a StaticResourceExtension based loosely on

http://sweux.com/blogs/psampaio/index.php/2009/06/16/using-data-binding-with-static-resources-in-wpf/

This was tucked away in one of many resource dictionaries. This caused Blend to have a major meltdown when editing any resource dictionaries in the project.

Top tip: if blend suddenly stops handling resources in dictionaries, look through your resource dictionaries in Visual Studio and look for any blue squiggle underlines.

• Marked as answer by Peter Chapman Friday, February 5, 2010 5:30 PM
    Friday, February 5, 2010 5:30 PM