DOCX linked to a DOTM with Add-In on machines without VSTO RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I have a dotm file with an document-level add-in written in VSTO. I create a docx document based on this template and save it. If I open the document on a machine where the template with the Add-In is installed the add-in is open and I can use it. If I open the docx on a machine without the Add-In installed the VSTO installer tries to download and install the Add-In.

Now my question: Is there away to configure word so that the missing add-in is just ignored on machines without it and no try is made to download and install the add-in? I don't want to remove the customizations from the docx.

Thanks for suggestions.

• Edited by Tobi1412 Monday, June 11, 2012 2:07 PM
    Monday, June 11, 2012 2:04 PM

Answers

• Hi Tobi,

First of all, the document template customization should be published and deploy with its supported assemblies, manifest.  But anyhow if you want deploy the document template without addin, you can remove the VSTO customization programatically.

Use ServerDocument.RemoveCustomization API to remove the customization.  Refer to MSDN article here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.visualstudio.tools.applications.serverdocument.removecustomization.aspx

In the scenario, if the document customization is not installed, the download addin dialog prompts only once.  This is expected and reasonable reminder, this document template is part of a VSTO solution, not a standalone document.

with regards,

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

• Proposed as answer by Forrest Guo Monday, June 18, 2012 9:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Forrest Guo Saturday, June 23, 2012 9:08 AM
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 2:44 AM