none
Visual Studio Community License

Question

• When you want to download Visual Studio Community, the website says :

An unlimited number of users within an organization can use Visual Studio Community for the following scenarios: in a classroom learning environment, for academic research, or for contributing to open source projects.

For all other usage scenarios: 
    In non-enterprise organizations, up to five users can use Visual Studio Community. In enterprise organizations (meaning those with >250 PCs or >$1 Million US Dollars in annual revenue), no use is permitted beyond the open source, academic research, and classroom learning environment scenarios described above.

If you work in an enterprise, and you have a laptop from work, can you install and use VS Community on that laptop if you intend to use it only for individual (=private/non work) purposes.

So no use of VS will be done for work purposes. Knowing that there is a developers team who use the Enterprise-version of VS at work.

Or will a free Community license on a work-laptop be a problem in this case?

Wednesday, March 02, 2016 4:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Retul Lakhani,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

For question 1:

>> If you work in an enterprise, and you have a laptop from work, can you install and use VS Community on that laptop ?

Because VS Enterprise version is more advanced than the Community, if you have VS Enterprise installed on your machine, you couldn’t install the lower community edition.

For question 2:

Or will a free Community license on a work-laptop be a problem in this case?

The problem is not pending on the Community license, but you are already in an Enterprise.

If you really would like to install VS Community, I suggest you install it on other laptop which doesn’t have  VS Enterprise, Professional and Premium.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, March 03, 2016 6:23 AM
  • My laptop does not have Enterprise installed on it.

Other user in the company (that are part of developping team) have Enterprise on their laptop.

I don't need VS on my laptop for work, but I would like to install it for private usage.

Thursday, March 03, 2016 4:04 PM
  • Hi Vince_421,

Yes, if you just install it for private usage, you can install Visual Studio Community version on your laptop. And you just need to login your Visual Studio Community with an Microsoft account, then it will update a license online and you can use it for free.

About how to sign in to Visual Studio with your Microsoft account, please refer to below article.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn457348.aspx

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, March 04, 2016 2:40 AM