none
WHY? DO NOT CHANGE THE COLOR DATETIMEPICKER RRS feed

• Question

• Hi how are you all,I've been programming for a short time in vb and i am trying to change the appearance color of DATETIMEPICKER in the form but when i change the properties of color nothing happens, why? is that. I have had very little help in the Spanish forum, so i try in English. Thanks a lot and sorry for the inconvenience
    Saturday, May 12, 2018 1:06 PM

Answers

•  Disable the Visual Style for the MonthCal in the DropDown event if you want to change its colors :
    Private Sub DateTimePicker1_DropDown(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles DateTimePicker1.DropDown
        Dim hWndMonthCal = SendMessage(DateTimePicker1.Handle, DTM_GETMONTHCAL, 0, 0)
        SetWindowTheme(hWndMonthCal, "", "")
    End Sub

with :

<DllImport("Uxtheme.dll", SetLastError:=True)>
        Public Shared Function SetWindowTheme(ByVal hWnd As IntPtr, ByVal pszSubAppName As String, ByVal pszSubIdList As String) As Integer
        End Function

<DllImport("User32.dll", EntryPoint:="SendMessageW", SetLastError:=True)>
        Public Shared Function SendMessage(ByVal hWnd As IntPtr, ByVal Msg As Integer, ByVal wParam As Integer, ByVal lParam As IntPtr) As Integer
        End Function

Public Const DTM_FIRST As Integer = &H1000
        Public Const DTM_GETMONTHCAL As Integer = (DTM_FIRST + 8)

Saturday, May 12, 2018 2:01 PM
  • When XP Visual Styles are enabled, it overrides these custom settings.  You can turn this off in My Project  -> Application tab, but there will be other consequences to the look of the form.  I'm not sure if there is a way to just modify a single control...

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Saturday, May 12, 2018 1:18 PM
  • Visuall styles can be enabled/disabled for individual windows using their native window handles. The docs were written for C/C++ but you should be able to call SetWindowTheme using P/INvoke.  See Enabling Visual Styles which says -

Turning Off Visual Styles

You can turn off visual styles for a control or for all controls in a window by calling the SetWindowTheme function as follows:

SetWindowTheme(hwnd, L" ", L" ");

In the previous example, hwnd is the handle of the window in which to disable visual styles. After the call, the control renders without visual styles.

-------

If I remember correctly there should be posts in the forums about doing this with the DateTimePicker control (and there is more than one HWND in the control).

• Edited by RLWA32 Saturday, May 12, 2018 1:34 PM added comment
    • Marked as answer by Principiante1040Vb Saturday, May 12, 2018 2:01 PM
    Saturday, May 12, 2018 1:26 PM

All replies

• When XP Visual Styles are enabled, it overrides these custom settings.  You can turn this off in My Project  -> Application tab, but there will be other consequences to the look of the form.  I'm not sure if there is a way to just modify a single control...

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Saturday, May 12, 2018 1:18 PM
  • Visuall styles can be enabled/disabled for individual windows using their native window handles. The docs were written for C/C++ but you should be able to call SetWindowTheme using P/INvoke.  See Enabling Visual Styles which says -

Turning Off Visual Styles

You can turn off visual styles for a control or for all controls in a window by calling the SetWindowTheme function as follows:

SetWindowTheme(hwnd, L" ", L" ");

In the previous example, hwnd is the handle of the window in which to disable visual styles. After the call, the control renders without visual styles.

-------

If I remember correctly there should be posts in the forums about doing this with the DateTimePicker control (and there is more than one HWND in the control).

• Edited by RLWA32 Saturday, May 12, 2018 1:34 PM added comment
    • Marked as answer by Principiante1040Vb Saturday, May 12, 2018 2:01 PM
    Saturday, May 12, 2018 1:26 PM
  • Disable the Visual Style for the MonthCal if you want to change its colors :

Dim hWndMonthCal = SendMessage(datetimePicker.Handle, DTM_GETMONTHCAL, 0, 0)

with :

Public Shared Function SetWindowTheme(ByVal hWnd As IntPtr, ByVal pszSubAppName As String, ByVal pszSubIdList As String) As Integer
        End Function

Public Shared Function SendMessage(ByVal hWnd As IntPtr, ByVal Msg As Integer, ByVal wParam As Integer, ByVal lParam As IntPtr) As Integer
        End Function

Saturday, May 12, 2018 1:51 PM
  •  Disable the Visual Style for the MonthCal in the DropDown event if you want to change its colors :
    Private Sub DateTimePicker1_DropDown(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles DateTimePicker1.DropDown
        Dim hWndMonthCal = SendMessage(DateTimePicker1.Handle, DTM_GETMONTHCAL, 0, 0)
    End Sub

with :

End Function

End Function

Saturday, May 12, 2018 2:01 PM
  • Thanks a lot

Saturday, May 12, 2018 2:02 PM
  • Thanks a lot
    Saturday, May 12, 2018 2:04 PM