none
Strings as measure RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to have strings as a measure?

I tried to build a cube with string measures and I choose no aggregation function for that measure, but I always get the error message:

Error    1    Errors in the metadata manager. The data type of the 'blah' measure is not valid because the data type of the measure is a string type.         0    0   

Thanks for any help!
    Saturday, December 31, 2005 6:26 AM

Answers

• The for Analysis Services 2005 the answer is : Strings are not supported as a measure types.

Edward.
    --
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 11:24 PM

All replies

• I am having the same problem... any solutions?
    Tuesday, April 25, 2006 9:35 PM
  • The for Analysis Services 2005 the answer is : Strings are not supported as a measure types.

Edward.
    --
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 11:24 PM
  • Measures are fundamentally numeric values, so strings do not make sense. The only exception is Count and DistinctCount measures where you can point to a string column (since you're just counting these values).
    Thursday, April 27, 2006 1:24 AM
  • Its not that its not at all possible to have string measures in cubes. There is a workaround for using strings as measures. It may not work in all cases but worked out in my case.

this can be acheived using member properties for dimensions. and once member property is defined it can be used in calculated measures to display string measures

[dimension].properties("Member Property Name")

Hope this is useful for u

regards,

SP

Friday, April 28, 2006 1:41 PM
  • Why we can't made Measure with aggregationtype None of type string?
    Monday, December 11, 2006 10:37 AM