none
What does the Install operation mean in Installed NuGet packages?

Question

• In Visual Studio 2015, when I select Manage NuGet Packages for Solution..., and select Installed, to the right I see the list of projects in my solution with check boxes:

If I tick a check box, the Install button is enabled. What does the Install do?  Or rather what's the difference between whether something is installed or not when the screen is already showing Installed packages?

• Edited by K.Kong Thursday, December 01, 2016 4:15 PM
    Thursday, December 01, 2016 4:14 PM

Answers

• Hi K.Kong,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

The ‘Manage NuGet Packages for Solution…’ is used for managing packages for the solution, the screenshot you shared lets you select which projects will be affected, we can know it from this: Managing packages for the solution, it can help us to install/remove the specific package among projects under the same solution at the same time.

From your screenshot, there are 3 projects under your current solution and the project name ‘DCAPWebApi’ already installed the ‘Microsoft.AspNet.WebApi’ package and other 2 projects have not install this package yet, if you check the checkbox of this 2 projects, the ‘Install’ is enable and you can click ‘Install’ button to install this package into this 2 projects at the same time. If you check the checkbox of the project ‘DCAPWebApi’ and the ‘Uninstall’ button should enable and you can choose to remove it.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by K.Kong Friday, December 02, 2016 8:07 AM
    Friday, December 02, 2016 7:42 AM

All replies

• Hi K.Kong,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

The ‘Manage NuGet Packages for Solution…’ is used for managing packages for the solution, the screenshot you shared lets you select which projects will be affected, we can know it from this: Managing packages for the solution, it can help us to install/remove the specific package among projects under the same solution at the same time.

From your screenshot, there are 3 projects under your current solution and the project name ‘DCAPWebApi’ already installed the ‘Microsoft.AspNet.WebApi’ package and other 2 projects have not install this package yet, if you check the checkbox of this 2 projects, the ‘Install’ is enable and you can click ‘Install’ button to install this package into this 2 projects at the same time. If you check the checkbox of the project ‘DCAPWebApi’ and the ‘Uninstall’ button should enable and you can choose to remove it.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by K.Kong Friday, December 02, 2016 8:07 AM
    Friday, December 02, 2016 7:42 AM
  • Thank you for clearing the mystery. I didn't know the subtle version number means that it was installed for that project.
    Friday, December 02, 2016 8:06 AM
  • Hi K.Kong,

It's my pleasure and thank you for your confirmation.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Friday, December 02, 2016 8:19 AM