Error changing Target Device & starting Device Emulator Manager RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm having huge difficulties in developing a Windows mobile 6.5 Application. And meanwhile, i'm really clueless.

I've installed Visual Studio 2008 SP1 and Windows Mobile 6 SDK and WM 6.5.3. DTK and now i'm unable to start my device emulator Manager from VS08. Nothing happens when i'm clicking there, not even a process is starting. But it starts perfectly from my programs folder and runs from there without any problems.

Also if i'm trying to change my Target Device from WM 6 Classic Emulator to something else it just gives me a error which says : "Operation SetValue on the component did not succeed, generating the error code 0x80004002".

I've uninstalled and installed everything a few times (VS,WM 6 SDK/DTK etc.) and it installs without any errors.

Does anybody had have similiar Problems or knows a solution?

I'm running Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit.

thanks in advance!

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 1:01 PM

Answers

• I use the same setup (Visual Studio 2008 SP1, Win7 x64), so I don't think that's your issue.

What happens if you start a new project with these steps?

1. File->New Project
    2. Visual C++ -> Smart Device -> Win32 Smart Device Project
    3. Select only the "Windows Mobile 6.5.3 Professional DTK" and "Windows Project"
    4. Once the code is created and you're in the IDE's main editing view, open the Target Device dropdown and select "Windows Mobile 6.5.3 Professional Emulator"
    5. Click the Start Debugging green arrow

If it still doesn't work, then it's probably an installation issue (I realize you've tried installing and uninstalling). It may be that the uninstaller didn't properly remove everything. After the uninstall, you may have to troll through the harddrive and registry and manually remove references to Visual Studio and Windows Mobile. A registry cleaning application like CCleaner may help.

-PaulH

• Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Tuesday, March 13, 2012 1:59 AM
    Wednesday, March 7, 2012 4:16 PM