Production v. Development Environment RRS feed

• Question

• How is this typically handled? Are there any good links or documents anyone can point me to?

I have walked into an environment where as far as SharePoint is concerned, there is no separation of development and production. That is they are making changes to pages, look and feel (CSS), web parts, all the while users could be working with the site. The client has a four server SharePoint farm.

I would like to create a virtualized development environment (a copy of the current "production" environment). After that any changes would be made in development and promoted to production. What is an effective way to achieve this? Is it difficult to create a copy of the SharePoint farm and move it onto a VM and treat it as development? How would I promote changes from Dev -> Production?

Any advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated,

Best Regards,

-C

Monday, November 11, 2013 9:56 PM

Answers

• You don't want to clone SharePoint servers, but instead build a new farm to serve as development, and restore a full farm backup to it (changing URLs appropriately).

I generally see site-design development (master page, css, etc.) as something that can occur directly in production.  It is when you get to the farm solutions where you have to have a development/test environment.

As for promoting changes, it would be recommended that you build Visual Studio solutions that you can deploy from one farm to another.  Another option would be to leverage templates (saving lists/sites as templates) for deployment, but that won't be of use for ongoing changes (unlike a Visual Studio solution).

Trevor Seward, MCC

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by Victoria Xia Friday, November 22, 2013 9:26 AM
    Monday, November 11, 2013 10:05 PM