Visual Studio 2008 and SQL Express 2005 RRS feed

• Question

• User1734563501 posted

I installed Visual Studio 2008 with SQL Express 2005.  When I try to Add New Item > SQL Server Database > and accept App_Data folder, the message box says, "Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly.  Please verify the installation of the component or download from the URL:..."

When I go to Tools > Options > Database Tools > and Data Connection, it says the SQL Server Instance Name is SQLEXPRESS.

Can someone tell me how to make that connection?  Did I not install it correctly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 3:41 PM

Answers

• User1734563501 posted

Thank you for your help.  I really do appreciate it.

I looked at the services in the Computer Management console and there was no indication that SQL Express was running/present nor could I find any evidence of it on my computer so I took the advice of the error message and downloaded SQL Express from Microsoft.  After installing/reinstalling(?) it, it works fine.  SQL Express was checked in the list of programs to be installed when I installed Visual Studio 2008 Professional but I'm not sure it really got installed.  Either way, it runs now and I'm grateful for your responses.

Have a very Merry Christams.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2007 12:18 AM

All replies

• User546162363 posted

In your connections string, try to reference the servername and instancename like this: MACHINENAME\SQLEXPRESS

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 7:09 PM
  • User-125547262 posted

Check and make sure your SQL server express edition is running.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 9:10 PM
  • User1734563501 posted

Thank you for your help.  I really do appreciate it.

I looked at the services in the Computer Management console and there was no indication that SQL Express was running/present nor could I find any evidence of it on my computer so I took the advice of the error message and downloaded SQL Express from Microsoft.  After installing/reinstalling(?) it, it works fine.  SQL Express was checked in the list of programs to be installed when I installed Visual Studio 2008 Professional but I'm not sure it really got installed.  Either way, it runs now and I'm grateful for your responses.

Have a very Merry Christams.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2007 12:18 AM
  • User-125547262 posted

Glad to know it helped. Merry Christmas to you too 

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 6:43 AM
  • User-947654696 posted

iam unable to connect to database thru APP_DATA, The error says "Connections to sql server files requires sql server to function properly " Pls guide me

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 12:53 AM
  • User-125547262 posted

From the error message looks like you either do not have sql server on the machine or its not running .Check  and make sure it is and that should take care of the problem. Also since this is a different question, open a different  thread 

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 9:16 AM
  • User815318305 posted

Hi There,

I have one windows application which is running on Windows XP and now I wanted it to migrate to Windows 8. Can you please suggest, Windows 8 allow my Windows application installer to run successfully and work properly? This application is of 2 pages have 1000 users. Which is developed in VS 2005 and SQL Express 2005?

Can you please suggest, which version of VS * supported by Windows -8 and Version of database (SQLEXPREES) or my old setup need some small changes and ready supported, In that case what chnages required.

Appreciate your quick response.

Thanks,

ALBSHAH

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 9:15 AM