Increasing MySite Quotas RRS feed

• Question

• My company is just starting to use MySites.  At some point the Personal quota was set to 100mb, which we rapidly realized wasn't going to be sufficient for our needs.  So yesterday I bumped it up to 250mb.

When the increase didn't take affect immediately I figured that there was some job that would run overnight that would update the quotas for the users, but this morning it appears that the sites are still limited to 100mb.

So a couple quick questions out of this:

1.  Is there something I have to do to manually force pre-existing mysites to realize there is a larger quota available?  I went into "Site Collection Quotas and Locks" and changed to the mysite web app, and then drilled down to the user in question's mysite and looked at it.  According to it, it says 250 is the quota, but it still won't let the user upload more than 100mb.

2.  What does your company limit it's mysites to?  We were looking at getting rid of the personal file shares, but we are finding some users out there with gigabytes on their personal shares.  Of course a lot of that is old data that can go away, but it's that forcing users to do so that's going to be the problem.

3.  Do you allow Personal (as in non-business) data on your employee's mysite?  There has already been a lot of discussion about that at my company and I was curious how others did it.

Thanks for your help.

Ted

Thursday, January 29, 2009 4:40 PM

Answers

1. The quota management is centralized so by changing the definition of the personal quota from 100mb to 250mb it should have been updated.  I don't have much to offer there.
    2. Right now we are looking at 50mb by default due to the number of users (same as exchange).  Individuals can request more, but their is a charge for that.  To do this additional quotas will be defined and applied to individual site collections.
    3. My group isn't overly focused on the Personal Data on the site.  I think it falls under the same umbrella of appropriate usage with the shared drives and local computer. 

I am also interested in hearing other people's feedback on #2 and #3.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:18 PM

All replies

1. The quota management is centralized so by changing the definition of the personal quota from 100mb to 250mb it should have been updated.  I don't have much to offer there.
    2. Right now we are looking at 50mb by default due to the number of users (same as exchange).  Individuals can request more, but their is a charge for that.  To do this additional quotas will be defined and applied to individual site collections.
    3. My group isn't overly focused on the Personal Data on the site.  I think it falls under the same umbrella of appropriate usage with the shared drives and local computer. 

I am also interested in hearing other people's feedback on #2 and #3.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:18 PM
  • Looking at the Site Collection Quotas and Locks (CA - Application Management), I see that there is a Site Lock Information section.  For collections that exceeded the limit before it was increased, they probably need to be set to "Not locked" in addition to upping the template.

Hope that helps Ted!

Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:40 PM