none
Could not load file or assembly 'System.ServiceModel.Internals, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest. RRS feed

• Question

• Title is the content of a dialog box that appears when I click the 'New Query' button in SSMS 15.0.18142.0 connected to MSSQLSERVER 2017.140.2027.2. 

Details for C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\System.ServiceModel.Internals.dll: File Version 4.8.3825.0; Product Version 4.83825.0; Size 247KB; 

I tried to repair the SSMS installation, but the process fails with the same dialog box.

I completely uninstalled/reinstalled SSMS, but I still get the same dialog box when I try 'New Query'.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL14.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Log\ERRORLOG doesn't suggest anything to me.

This problem does not occur on another machine running the same versions of SSMS, SQL Server, and System.ServiceModel.Internals.dll. 

Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 4:09 PM

All replies

• Hello Friend,

What SSMS version are you using? And what is the database version?

Perhaps a more current or less current version is more interesting.
    Let us know so we can think of something.

If this answer has helped you, mark it helpful so that someone else with a question or similar problem can find an answer or help more easily. * Jefferson Clyton Pereira da Silva - [ MCSA | MCP | MCTS | MTA | Analista de Banco de Dados - Sql Server e Oracle ]

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 5:27 PM
  • I assume this is an automated reply.  As I wrote in the original post, "Title is the content of a dialog box that appears when I click the 'New Query' button in SSMS 15.0.18142.0 connected to MSSQLSERVER 2017.140.2027.2."
    Tuesday, September 10, 2019 5:48 PM
  • This sounds like something is broken with the .NET installation on your machine.  Or are you saying that the problem does not occur if you connect to another SQL Server instance?

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 9:39 PM
  • Erland, the problem does not occur on a separate machine (i.e., with both SSMS, MSSQLSERVER, and the DLL) all on that machine.  So, yes, I'm guessing the problem is with .NET installation on the problematic machine.  How does one go about re-installing .NET?  I'll give it a try.
    Tuesday, September 10, 2019 11:14 PM
  • Hello Friend,

It was not an automatic response.
     I really didn't realize the versions you already reported.
    I apologize for my mistake.

The error log you are currently checking will not have anything related to SSMS error. There are Sql Server errors.
    Are you already considering being .NET

What version of S.O. are you using?
    Are the other hosts running SSMS the same version?

The version you downloaded and installed is newer and may still have some incompatibility.
    It might be more interesting to install a more stable version like 17 or even 18.0.

If this answer has helped you, mark it helpful so that someone else with a question or similar problem can find an answer or help more easily. * Jefferson Clyton Pereira da Silva - [ MCSA | MCP | MCTS | MTA | Analista de Banco de Dados - Sql Server e Oracle ]
    Wednesday, September 11, 2019 12:48 AM
  • Hey, guys, thanks for the help.  Still don't know why I get the problem with System.ServiceModels.Internals.dll. 

I have two adjacent machines, one for development, one for testing a web app on a server.  The development machine is problematic; the server works fine.  Rather than run down the problem, I just moved all my databases to the server machine.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 6:42 PM
  • Ok Geo,

Will you format the machine and reinstall everything?

Se esta resposta lhe ajudou, marque-a como útil para que outra pessoa com dúvida ou problema semelhante possa encontrar resposta ou ajuda mais facilmente. * Jefferson Clyton Pereira da Silva - [ MCSA | MCP | MCTS | MTA | Analista de Banco de Dados - Sql Server e Oracle ]

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 7:03 PM