Angry, drunken rant concerning the direction I'm seeing both Windows as a product, and DirectX as a whole taking.

General discussion

• Okay, in all honesty, I'm just venting here, and to top that, I've got half a bottle of single malt in me.  I just finished posting on the Steam forums out of frustration, given my efforts to get Bioshock 2 to work under Windows 8 ('Bioshock 2 has stopped working, Abort Retry Fail? (Pardon the DOS Joke)).  I will apologize now, given that all I have to provide is drunken sanitized invective, as opposed to a genuine request for support from a 30 year old Microsoft veteran, but I feel that to post the following anywhere would be disingenuous were I not also willing to make it visible to Microsoft employees.  While sober, I am an IT Support Technician, I am well aware of the challenges developers face while trying to get software to work on a multitude of hardware platforms running god knows how many different operating systems.  While I do find certain aspects of specific Microsoft products aggravating (What were you thinking with the Office Ribbon setup? I want my drop down menus back! And Games For Windows Live is a travesty almost worthy of a war-crimes tribunal), Microsoft as a whole has been very consistent and VERY well documented in the twenty some years I have worked with it's products.  With all of that said, please read this angry rant with the understanding that it carries years worth of frustration and anxiety concerning the direction I see Microsoft taking.

I don't think I've kvetched about this on the forums before, but I will now.  I like Windows 7, I'm currently running Windows 8 but the only reason I can stomach it is the fact that it's Windows 7 running under a candy shell (Insert UNIX joke here). But the simple fact remains, making DX10+ Windows 7+ exclusive really felt like a kick in the jimmy, back when I was running XP.  I've put up with a lot of *QUACK* from Microsoft, I hate GFWL with an undying passion, but I tolerate it, because Microsoft has not stooped to the absolutely abominable things that I've seen EA and Ubisoft, much left *spits* Activision pull. But please, for the love of Ballmer, PLEASE support your *QUACKING* products.  I do not resent having to force my games back down to DX9 in order to get them to run that much, given that I LIKE DX9 ... it WORKS ... but please Microsoft, Please, for the love of god (Ballmer) and all that is holy (Microsoft) ... either get your *QUACK* to work, or stop making your video driver API's OS exclusive.  Please.   Every failure of Microsoft, the overlord and master of PC gaming, only drives more of us to the *NIX camp, and I pray that, on a fundamental level, you won't abandon us PC nutjobs completely in favor of the XBLive tards.

Thank you for reading this, and giving me an outlet to vent.

Saturday, February 16, 2013 12:39 AM

All replies

• Windows 8 build in DX11

NEU_ShieldEdge

Monday, February 18, 2013 7:30 AM
  • This is a rather wide-ranging rant, so FWIW:

I fully understand it is frustrating when software misbehaves or fails unexpectedly. Windows 8 has excellent compatibility for Windows 7 desktop apps, but as with every OS release cycle, changes to the underlying OS can expose latent bugs in games and other applications. Often these are resolved by appcompat fixes applied by Microsoft during OS development, but ultimately this is an issue for the publisher and/or developer of the software to resolve. I have pretty good guidance to game devs on my blog for this topic and there is an official Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 compatibility cookbook.

Note that the Windows Compatibility Center notes that Bioshock 1 doesn't seem to work, and only a few people have indicated that Bioshock 2 worked for them. As such, it seems like there's some issues that the developer or publisher needs to resolve in their codebase for Windows 8 compatibility.

In any case, this has really nothing to do with Windows Store apps which is what this forum is about.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 9:45 PM
  • I still run Windows XP along with Windows 8.1 on my pc so I can still use my old programs.

n.Wright

Friday, September 20, 2013 9:56 PM