none
Help with extensions? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to use the SpeechMusic and ToneGen extentions. I have moved the .dll and .xml files to C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Small Basic\lib as instructed. When I start Small Basic I don't see the "intellisense" for the extensions and if I run the examples I get an error "cannot find object".
    I'm Windows XP and Small Basic is v0.6.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 3:52 AM

Answers

• I don't know about the ToneGen, but the SpeechMusic has been rebuilt for v0.6 - make sure you have the most recent version.  Apart from that I have no idea - there have been a few issues with these on different computers - I have the feeling it may be due to DirectX libraries - without access to a system where it doesn't work it is hard to diagnose.

Then try one extension at a time in the lib directory.

The other thing is to rebuild the C# project using VS Express 2008 - if you install the C# and are interested I can create some step by step procedure.

Simple C# procedure uploaded.

http://cid-92f7df0e57232aba.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/SmallBasic/SpeechMusic/C%5E3Instructions.zip

Open the zipped document with wordpad or another rtf reader.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 5:34 PM

All replies

• I don't know about the ToneGen, but the SpeechMusic has been rebuilt for v0.6 - make sure you have the most recent version.  Apart from that I have no idea - there have been a few issues with these on different computers - I have the feeling it may be due to DirectX libraries - without access to a system where it doesn't work it is hard to diagnose.

Then try one extension at a time in the lib directory.

The other thing is to rebuild the C# project using VS Express 2008 - if you install the C# and are interested I can create some step by step procedure.

Simple C# procedure uploaded.

http://cid-92f7df0e57232aba.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/SmallBasic/SpeechMusic/C%5E3Instructions.zip

Open the zipped document with wordpad or another rtf reader.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 5:34 PM
  • SpeechMusic does work and I overhauled a bit the piano code to work with it. XHX577
    I'm having issue with part of the Fremy lib. Hopefully it's not DirectX related.

Good luck.
    • Proposed as answer by Hobby_Dev Tuesday, September 22, 2009 6:46 PM
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 6:38 PM
  • I' glad it works for you, but it doesn't for some users.

If you are interested in the sound generation, why not play with the C# code, now with compilation instructions (see last post but one).  The waveforms I created were pretty basic, I bet they could be improved on!

Nice piano SB code by the way.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 6:46 PM
  • Please use XHX577-0 to prevent the Text Window popping up. Still want to be able to pause playback but can't get the interrupt to work properly.

Regards.
    • Proposed as answer by Hobby_Dev Tuesday, September 22, 2009 6:47 PM
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 6:47 PM
  • I downloaded SpeechMusic from Windows Live again so I assume it's current. I also tried using only this extension.
    My Operating System is: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234).
    My DirectX Version is: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904). I tried all the Direct x tests and they were successful.

I appreciate your time and effort but I'm not sure I would be able to rebuild the C# project. Maybe at a later time?

Thanks,

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:48 PM
  • I created a new release of my Tone Generator.  I included a .dll for version v0.6 and a batch file that builds a new .dll file, using the command line compiler, for whatever version of Small Basic you have.

https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ProjectName=ExtToneGenerator&ReleaseId=3247

when the next version of Small Basic is out, simply run the update file and you should be good to go.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:09 PM
  • Okay not sure if I understand your question now.
    If it's about SpeechMusic and the Piano which does not work: 
    1. Please reinstall SmallBasic (delete manually and run set-up again).
    2. Create the lib folder and deploy/copy the SpeechMusic.dll and SpeechMusic.xml file into the lib.

Should work now.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:12 PM
  • JAG2, if you do want to use the ToneGenerator Rushworks has just updated the API and it's available for download!
    See the other posts.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:15 PM
  • I downloaded your new release of Tone Generator and it works just fine! Not sure about updating for the next version of Small Basic; that's a problem for later. Still can't get SpeechMusic to work, but Tone Generator will do what I want.

Thank you very much for your help.
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 1:16 AM