signalR vs network programming?! RRS feed

• Question

• User1438874232 posted

Hi ,
    I'm gonna learn signalR and network programming by C#.one question that raised for me is that is there any overlap between their functionalities ?about differences ?
    and by deep-learning of signalR is there any reason to study
    Network Programming in the .NET Framework?
    excuse me if the question was so trivial.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 6:21 AM

Answers

• User-782232518 posted

If you study computer network, you know the different layers and protocols. SignalR builds upon HTTP layer, so information is passed via HTTP packets. While if you use Windows socket directly, you can go at any layer you want (usually via TCP or UDP, but you can also do via HTTP or any other protocol). Mastering both can give you more insights on the pros and cons, but if your time is limited, choose one that you are comfortable with.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, June 16, 2016 4:24 AM

All replies

• User-359936451 posted

I am not sure if signalR is contained within that model but there is certainly overlap that would benefit you.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 6:44 PM
  • User-782232518 posted

If you study computer network, you know the different layers and protocols. SignalR builds upon HTTP layer, so information is passed via HTTP packets. While if you use Windows socket directly, you can go at any layer you want (usually via TCP or UDP, but you can also do via HTTP or any other protocol). Mastering both can give you more insights on the pros and cons, but if your time is limited, choose one that you are comfortable with.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, June 16, 2016 4:24 AM