Developing in 32 bit and Deploying in 64bit RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

My new version of Application is Visual Studio 2010 in Windows 7. Os is 32 bit and i need to deploy this application in 64 bit 2008 server. So when i develop in 32 bit  any special consideration i need to take or not? Please guide me

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 4:34 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If you need to run application only on 64-bit OS, it is necessary to build it with X64 option. But In 32-bit development environment, it is not able to run a 64-bit process, so I suggest you change to a 64-bit OS to develop it. Or you can build the application with X86 option, so it will run as 32-bit process on 64-bit OS.

Sincerely,

Paul Zhou [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Paul Zhou Tuesday, July 5, 2011 5:39 AM
    Friday, July 1, 2011 7:11 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

I think an important problem is about /platform.

When you move an application that is developed on 32-bit OS, you need to check the platform option.  If the application is built with AnyCPU and it contains some components or references that only supports 32-bit, it is not able to run on 64-bit OS. I suggest you rebuild the application with X86 option. In this way, the application will run as 32-bit process on 64-bit OS under WOW64.

Have a nice day.

Paul Zhou [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 10:02 AM
  • thanks friend. Actually i need to run this application in 64 bit OS onyl. My develoipment scenario is 32 bit OS (Windows 7) and my deployment scenario is 64 bit OS (Windows Server 2008)
    Friday, July 1, 2011 4:17 AM
  • Hi,

If you need to run application only on 64-bit OS, it is necessary to build it with X64 option. But In 32-bit development environment, it is not able to run a 64-bit process, so I suggest you change to a 64-bit OS to develop it. Or you can build the application with X86 option, so it will run as 32-bit process on 64-bit OS.

Sincerely,

Paul Zhou [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by Paul Zhou Tuesday, July 5, 2011 5:39 AM
    Friday, July 1, 2011 7:11 AM